Shore Diving & places to stay in SE Florida?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cbbr

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
We are looking at a long weekend (4-5 nights) toward the end of the month and would like to be able take my 15YO shore diving from wherever we stay so we can just go out and drift in the mornings. Looking for 2 adults/3 kids in the sub $300 range. Walking to the beach (with gear) would be best. Something within an hour or so of the Ft Lauderdale airport. Any suggestions?

We are looking at a long weekend (4-5 nights) toward the end of the month....

End of July in Ft. Lauderdale is peak travel season for diving with great conditions, lobster mini-season, and shore diving. $300 for a week this late notice is tough, good you have your flights booked though.

$300/night not week. Than would be awesome though!

LBTS (Lauderdale by the Sea) and Pompano Beach still have some "Mom and Pop" beachfront, or near beachfront hotels that might be available.
They can be very reasonable.
But I think 5 persons for $300 A night will be very easy to pull off.
Especially within walking distance to the beach.
Will you have a rental vehicle?
You can also check Airbnb.com and VRBO.com.

Chug
Usually stays in Comfort Inns or Suites.

Last edited:
Lauderdale by the Sea would be a great spot. Like Chug said, there are numerous locally owned old-Florida style hotels. One of these mom and pop hotels, The Windjammer, is located right on the beach in the perfect place for a beach entry to dive. I've never stayed there, but have always heard positive reviews from divers that have. When I was doing a class with Gold Coast Scuba a few years ago, they let us borrow their pool for a day during the slow season. I met the managers and they seemed really nice.

For rental gear, Gold Coast Scuba and Force-E are located nearby.

Another easy spot is Blue Heron Bridge in the WPB area during slack tide. See the Blue Heron Bridge Trolls thread for information.

Here's a link with some other beach dive suggestions and discussions....
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/florida-diving/506186-best-shore-diving.html

If you need rental gear you better get that call in asap to a dive shop. Since that is lobster mini season you can pretty much forget renting tanks if you don't plan right now. Sometimes you are better buying tanks and reselling them.

Thanks - that's good to know. I am driving down, so I may just bring tanks with me. I suspect that fills are easy?

fills are easy... both Force-E and Gold Coast will fill while you wait. If you're not diving on the 29th and 30th, the line for tank fills shouldn't be too long at any of the shops in town. If you plan to dive those days, yeah bring your own tanks and be prepared to a wait a bit of time at the shop for fills.

Last edited:
For beach dives in there I use scuba school to get fills. They are one block from the beach. I would strongly recommend brining your tanks if you can.

Home

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom