Shore Diving & places to stay in SE Florida?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The 24th through 26th should not be bad. And you could rent during that time as well. I know scuba schools rents tanks if you cannot bring them down. I have no idea what the cost is.

Looks like we are staying near the pier off of Commercial Blvd in LBTS. Deep Blue Divers is close - any good or is there a better shop to contact?

Our plan is to dive on the 24-26th, so maybe it won't be so bad.

You will be mostly OK those days.
Gold Coast and The Scuba School can fill your tanks with air easily enough.
for Nitrox (and you will not need it for shore dives), Force-E is your best idea.
Their system is the fastest within quick striking distance.
Make sure your VIP's are current on those tanks.
From a service standpoint, that is THE WORST WEEKEND OF THE YEAR to try and get something done down here.
Mini-Season is the 29th and 30th of July and many folks are waiting until the last minute to get their gear, and tanks in order.

Chug
Ready to rock.

Thanks - I'll rent a couple of tanks here and bring them. We are not Nitrox certified, so that's not an issue. As I read it, the max depth is 30 feet, so we should be able to stay down plenty long each morning on air and get the tanks filled during the day.

Another question - any need for wetsuits? The 15yo is zero body fat, me, not so much...

The wetsuit is such a personal call that depends how cold you get, how long your dives will last, whether you have good boyancy control to not run into stinging coral etc. The water temps are likley to be 80 degrees, maybe better. I wear a 3MM no matter what, but I get cold farily easily, however a lot of people wear swimming trunks this time of year.

BTW, your hotel location is excellent. Just stay at least 300 feet from the pier while diving. I'm not familiar with Deep Blue. Enjoy your trip!

Looks like we are staying near the pier off of Commercial Blvd in LBTS. Deep Blue Divers is close - any good or is there a better shop to contact?

Yer gonna have a blast, especially if the seas remain as calm as they look at this minute (not uncommon there in the summertime). Keep an eye on this webcam: Windjammer Web Cam - Lauderdale-By-The-Sea Beach Cam

Gold Coast Scuba on Commercial Blvd. is yer place. Might check out any of my Flickr albums that have "LBTS" in the title.

Hopefully it remains that way - the weather forecast looks like rain in the afternoons. Is there a time of day that is generally more calm?

Hopefully it remains that way - the weather forecast looks like rain in the afternoons. Is there a time of day that is generally more calm?

My somewhat limited experience with checking the webcam suggests that mornings are more often the calmest - and I'm more likely to still be sober enough to dive on a vacation. :D

just for your info......deep blue divers is walking distance to the commercial pier area with donned grear ( must stay 300 feet from pier when scuba or snorkel)...gold coast is a little further than walking distance to the ocean with donned gear.......

Last edited:
Sounds perfect. We are staying about 1/2 mile south of the pier, so we are well outside of the 300ft mark. We will probably make our way up to the pier to dive one morning as long as I can find parking.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom