Shore Diving Maui Dec/Jan - Looking for Buddies!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't at all see how telling somebody they'll need two lights for a night dive comprises any kind of condescension. My AOW instructor told me to bring two lights to my night dive. It's pretty common practice, isn't it?

Sure, if you're teaching. Now, considering that Sean doesn't have instructor credentials, and there was nothing in the OP about Mark needing any sort of tips, hints, or training...

Even as an instructor, the only person I'd say something like that to was an actual student, unless asked. If we're talking about a fun night dive just as buddies, I would prepare myself and not offer that sort of suggestion unless specifically asked what s/he should bring for lights.

And truthfully... as long as you're sticking together, a shared backup is more than suitable in books.

Okay, different behavior patterns. If I were preparing to do a night dive with somebody I didn't know, I'd definitely ask them if they had a primary and backup light, and be prepared to provide whatever they didn't have.

Okay, different behavior patterns. If I were preparing to do a night dive with somebody I didn't know, I'd definitely ask them if they had a primary and backup light, and be prepared to provide whatever they didn't have.
Again, that's different than telling them what to bring.

Also, there's an attitudinal difference. Lynne, I understand from your posts here and from talking to your buddies that your diving style is exceptional and your care for your dive team is important. IMO, that's DingIR, no matter what gear you wear. Other individuals, on the other hand, think that it's only about the gear, and as long as you're in the same ocean (well, some might say same county), they're being a good buddy. And that is really what my argument comes down to here. It's not about gear. Heck, if you want to bring an enclosed candle down as your primary dive light, that's fine by me. I might even stuff a third dive light in my pocket for when that fails. But telling anybody what gear they *should* have, without invitation, is going to be considered rude in many circles.

I spent quite a bit of time chatting with Sean at the BBQ and found him to be a very nice and open person. Never heard anything negative about anyone's gear choices, and he was looking forward to seeing us on the wreck.

I have to agree that in night diving it's important to have 2 dive lights (primary and backup). Knowing Mark a little and seeing how eager he is to become a better diver since he's newish, I'm bet he never thought twice about Sean making sure he had two lights for the night dive. To me, Mark was the only one here who had the right to be "offended" since the question as directed at him.

Mark is a pleasure to dive with and he can join our group anytime for a dive (as are Sean and Tim)!! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom