Shore Diving Maui Dec/Jan - Looking for Buddies!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kris, I'm not going to go down that same path with you as happened just a few months ago. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, as invalid, hearsay-based, or plan wrong as it may be.

See, that's exactly it, Sean. I've never said another opinion is wrong -- just that it doesn't line up with the reality I've experienced and heard about.

You like a certain shop... that's obvious. But I've met many people who've been significantly wronged and shortchanged by them in both training and even just contracted dives. Is my opinion wrong? What about yours? No, they're just different. Likely because you haven't been listening to as many people, and instead just trusting your experience. To note on that -- one person's experience is fine -- but is going to be vastly inferior to the collection of experiences. That is exactly why places like ScubaBoard find popularity over just looking in a guidebook or two.

There's a big difference when you're living a lifestyle and when you're dabbling. More than half of the people I spend time with are active dive professionals. We hear stuff from all over -- some of it accurate, some far-fetched. Mostly, this comes from clients and our own "fly-on-the-wall" observations. You'd have the same to say in other industries, I'm sure.

Safe and happy diving!

I wish the same to you -- and hope that your buddies have no unpleasant surprises that you're too busy chasing a turtle to notice. :)

Boy, I'll bet the original poster is getting an interesting, and not entirely pleasant view of the Maui dive community here. Too bad.

Mark, I hope you're having a great time on Maui, and have found some great people to dive with. I certainly have, on my trips there.

What's going on Kris. Ever read back over your posts and wonder if that's what you really meant to say?

We had a great dive with Mark on the Carthaginian II and Mala on the 25th....after our BBQ with Tim and Sean. Tim can certainly cook a mean steak...yum!! Thanks again for the invite. :)

It was also fun to see Tim and Sean diving the Carthaginian with us later that afternoon. Tim was easy to spot with his scooter and doubles and we got a good picture of Tim and I near the crows nest. :D

Yep! That was me!

I'll drop you a PM to finalize the details of those shore dives we were talking about.

Mark

I did talk to a Mark from Canada at the BBQ. I'm wondering if that is you? We did see you on the Carthaginian too....

Just curious if you are the same person!

Thanks,

Sean

LOL! In my experience, forums tend to bring out both the best and the worst in people. In general, I've found people tend to be a tad more opinionated and controversial online than they are in real life.

But... in answer to your question, I'm having an AMAZING time in Maui and have already met some wonderful people. The BBQ with Tim, Sean, DiveMaven and their family's was a blast, and the diving here is incredible. I've already completed by "Maui Critter Checklist," and I've still got lots of diving left!

Mark

Boy, I'll bet the original poster is getting an interesting, and not entirely pleasant view of the Maui dive community here. Too bad.

Mark, I hope you're having a great time on Maui, and have found some great people to dive with. I certainly have, on my trips there.

What's going on Kris. Ever read back over your posts and wonder if that's what you really meant to say?
Yes, Al, I do. And what you're not seeing here is that there is some other factors, and in retrospect, while I meant to say all of this, it might have made more sense in a PM.

A lot of what I've put here is based on a dislike of people thinking that their particular gear configuration makes them safer, in spite of how they dive. My dives with Sean have been that way -- he dives a BP&W, and despite being unable to thread the tank band when he put the new BP on, and also not being able to stick to the dive plan of when to turn -- and even when that was violated complete forget to communicate to his buddies or check to see that we were following (throughout which, I seem to recall having used the subalert to try and get his attention), he was deriding my gear selection both pre & post dive.

While some gear selection can affect safety in some situations (e.g. long hose when you're in confined spaces, signaling devices, etc.) no amount of gear can overcome poor skills and attitude. What I read here was no exception -- from his first reply to Mark, I saw condescension when it relates to gear selection, as though he knows best and everybody else is a "stroke" (I'm just repeating his use of the word).

I don't at all see how telling somebody they'll need two lights for a night dive comprises any kind of condescension. My AOW instructor told me to bring two lights to my night dive. It's pretty common practice, isn't it?

Night dive = primary light and back-up light in my book.

Another cool thread getting off course again... Glad you're having a good time Mark. The water's been really nice this Christmas season....which is pretty unusual for this time of year. You got lucky! Please stop by and say hello if you see my scubabus somewhere! Happy Holidays!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom