Shore Diving Maui Dec/Jan - Looking for Buddies!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mark Duddridge

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I am going to be in Maui from December 23 to January 2. In that time, I hope to get as much diving in as possible. I've booked 5 two tank charters to Lanai, Molokini, and the Carthaginian through Lahaina Divers, but I am also hoping to do a lot of shore diving. Through all the wonderful people I've met through this forum, I've had the opportunity to line up some shore dives, and one of those people recommended posting my current dive schedule/availability in case anybody wants to (a) join us or (b) also has some free time when I do and would like a shore dive buddy.

So... my schedule is as follows:

Dive Dates Tentatively Set (with ScubaBoard members)
Dec 26 - Night Dive
Dec 28 - AM Dive
Dec 28 - Night Dive
Dec 29 - Night Dive
Jan 2 - AM Dive

Times I Still Have Open (that I would love to fill with diving!)
Dec 26 - Afternoon
Dec 27 - Afternoon
Dec 28 - Afternoon
Dec 29 - Afternoon
Jan 1 - Morning, Afternoon, and Night
Jan 2 - Afternoon and Night

If any of these days interest you, drop me a PM!

Mark

Hey Sean,

I think you had mentioned December 28. Two lights packed and ready to fly out in a few hours!

Mark

I'm diving with Mark on Dec 28th night dive(I think or is it the 29th?)... We'll dive somewhere in South Maui... maybe Ulua or 5 Graves... bring 2 lights Mark! Anyone is welcome to join us...

Sean

two lights? Why, you planning on one dying, Sean? :D

I always plan on my primary dying so I have a light to get back to shore... Not too many things worse than being on a night dive without a light! :D

Sean

I always plan on my primary dying so I have a light to get back to shore... Not too many things worse than being on a night dive without a light! :D

Sean
That's true. Though this time of the month, the moon is pretty big. As long as its a clear night, you only need the light for entry & exit!

Kris, it sounds like an interesting moment to shut your lights off and observe the moon (it was full my last night dive a few days ago and I could see it), but I'd hate to be on a dive site for 90 minutes looking for critters by moonlight. You're welcome to demonstrate for us on the 28th!

Happy Holidays!

Sean

.... but I'd hate to be on a dive site for 90 minutes looking for critters by moonlight.
Don't knock it until you've tried it. After 10 minutes or so of dark adaptation, you can see surprisingly well. Between 1st quarter and full moon works out best for dives shortly after sunset. 3rd quarter moons are nice and high for dawn dives.

I find a tiny 0.4watt 2AAA cell light by Ikelite to be a nice sort of illumination that is in between a full dive light and no lights at all.

Charlie Allen

p.s. An easy way to remember the full moon dates for a year is to subtract the month number from the "magic number" for the year. For 2007 use 36. For 2008 the "magic number" is 24. For example, June 2008 full moon will be 24 -6 = Jun 18 +/- 1 day.

Interesting info Charlie. For me a night dive is particularly awsome since I can bring out the rich colors of the corals and critters with my HID light; diving by moonlight isn't the same thing. I also use my light to focus on my subject when I take photos. Back in SoCal when the biolum was in abundance we'd shut off our lights and enjoy watching the trails, etc...Anyway Kris was saying you didn't need 2 lights at first(only 1 to enter and exit), then he changed to diving by moonlight... Maybe Moonlight provides enough light to technically navigate the reef, but it seems you(Charlie) still use a light to see the critters underwater... I'll check it out by moonlight next time but I'll have my lights handy! Anyway I doubt it's going to be a full moon on Friday, so we probably won't see Kris demo diving without lights! :) I have probably done over 100 night dives(no big deal I know) and when someone is not properly prepared, something always happens(maybe just a light dying early)... Be prepared, bring 2 lights on your night dives!

Sean

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom