Shore Diving and Truck Rentals for 2024 Bonaire Invasion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’ve got an email out to Al asking about rates/specials.

If I don’t hear anything back after tomorrow I will call.

Quick question re tanks - is there DIN readily available or is it mostly yoke?
My impression has been that the valves on Bonaire appear to have removable inserts, but that would be a question I'd ask directly of the resort.
My impression, is no guarantee, as I never had to worry, not diving DIN.

After the Roatan trip I had to locate a different yoke to install on my Kraken Argonaut regulator, because the trend at resorts appears to be converting tanks to larger tank valves, with DIN inserts, to accommodate a wider varietyof dive tourism.
At AKR I was lucky that the resort still had not converted all of their tanks yet, and staff was willing to help my locate ( and set aside for me) tanks with the older valve style, because my yoke would simply not seal on the new bulkier, DIN adaptable valves that seem to be becoming far more common.

Yeah, we're in. We should be able to fit 5 to a pickup. I can drive a stick as well, so can share the driving if need be.
Them are really small trucks. 5 would be tight. But nothing's far away.

Theft is not common, but it seems to enjoy best, biting those who try to ignore the simple Caution given us every time we have visited Bonair, starting @ 2 decades ago:

LEAVE THE WINDOWS OPEN AND LEAVE NOTHING IN THE VEHICLE.

I will note that there does not seem to be any theft value to crumpled up towels, plastic water bottle and even well worn T shirts, but that is all we leave behind us on a shore dive. Even eyeglasses, you should plan on stowing in some sort of carry case or pouch on your person as you dive.( salt water is no salter than the human skin, so they will survive submersion).
One PADI Course Director I trained with spent the last half of the week on one trip driving with his prescription dive mask on....
Even cell phones should stay behind when shore diving Bonaire. If you should get a flat, or enjoy another sort of break down, there is plenty of traffic to flag down, and ask for help.
I agree, nothing of value. Except the time I left a cheap water bottle in the truck and it was taken. Still pisses me off to this day. It was a CHEAP bottle, *******! Couldn't you have left the water?

Doesn't Plaza resort have on site truck rental available?
When we started talking rentals I sent a message to the resort asking about the trucks. Their website shows truck rentals with a Plaza logo on the side. They directed me to Hertz. I guess on their website rental tab those were company trucks they were teasing with. No big deal, but not very nice either.

AB rentals seem to have a great reputation. Many on here have given high remarks, and TripAdvisor responses are 100% reviews.

I agree, nothing of value. Except the time I left a cheap water bottle in the truck and it was taken. Still pisses me off to this day. It was a CHEAP bottle, *******! Couldn't you have left the water?
yea!!!! they should have left the water, and taken the cheap bottle... but that's me.
Or was it a donkey who took the water and put the empty bottle in the trash ?

From my earlier post regarding prices/deals and what Al can get for trucks:
Double-cab pickups from AB Car Rental = $65/day with full insurance & zero deductible. There’s room for up to 4 people to share. AB will come to the hotel and pick you up & take you over to their office to check out the truck, and give you a ride back when you drop it off. Just let me know if you want to add a truck (including what dates and your preferred pickup and drop-off times).

If that includes taxes it's a better deal than you can get online with them for full CDW/LDW/no deductible;
If it doesn't include taxes, it's in-line with my earlier post... so either way I'm going to go with Al/Bay Adventures and AB at this point, the only difference is where/when you pick the truck (or you) up and drop it off.

With this offer I assume we can pick up the truck after the Day-1 morning dives and shave a night off rental (rather than an airport pickup at time of arrival) and have them come pick us/truck up early afternoon Friday, 24-hours before the flight. I'll confirm that with Al.

I'm good to rent a truck on that schedule if someone wants a ride.

One question: Does anyone know what parking is like at the Plaza? I looked on the website and didn't see anything about it.
With all the renovations/additions they quote I'm not sure I can trust Google Maps to look for parking (and the google images show a lot of new construction too).

If that includes taxes it's a better deal than you can get online with them for full CDW/LDW/no deductible;
If it doesn't include taxes, it's in-line with my earlier post... so either way I'm going to go with Al/Bay Adventures and AB at this point, the only difference is where/when you pick the truck (or you) up and drop it off.

With this offer I assume we can pick up the truck after the Day-1 morning dives and shave a night off rental (rather than an airport pickup at time of arrival) and have them come pick us/truck up early afternoon Friday, 24-hours before the flight. I'll confirm that with Al.

One question: Does anyone know what parking is like at the Plaza? I looked on the website and didn't see anything about it.
With all the renovations/additions they quote I'm not sure I can trust Google Maps to look for parking (and the google images show a lot of new construction too).
Please put me down as your plus one. Let me know if Al needs a deposit and I will contribute.

My son Patrick and myself are interested ! --

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom