Shore Diving and Truck Rentals for 2024 Bonaire Invasion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

can we hire a local driver to stay with the truck during dives or is that just a waste?

my brother, Dale, acquired a good, waterproof container to stow the key in while diving.
I just ordered a DryFob XL, mostly for future PLB storage, but also planning ahead for some of my local quarry diving and this trip.

that's what i figured.
Some locals will say to be careful in 1000-steps and Kaparta parking areas. Other than that you see lots of divers in-out of site parking lots that perhaps deter Wanna-Be thieves

IMHO is a waste, but I'll let others chime in
Theft is not common, but it seems to enjoy best, biting those who try to ignore the simple Caution given us every time we have visited Bonair, starting @ 2 decades ago:

LEAVE THE WINDOWS OPEN AND LEAVE NOTHING IN THE VEHICLE.

I will note that there does not seem to be any theft value to crumpled up towels, plastic water bottle and even well worn T shirts, but that is all we leave behind us on a shore dive. Even eyeglasses, you should plan on stowing in some sort of carry case or pouch on your person as you dive.( salt water is no salter than the human skin, so they will survive submersion).
One PADI Course Director I trained with spent the last half of the week on one trip driving with his prescription dive mask on....
Even cell phones should stay behind when shore diving Bonaire. If you should get a flat, or enjoy another sort of break down, there is plenty of traffic to flag down, and ask for help.

Some locals will say to be careful in 1000-steps and Kaparta parking areas. Other than that you see lots of divers in-out of site parking lots that perhaps deter Wanna-Be thieves
I know of 2 cases where theft of gear, or in our case, crucial parts of gear were pilfered, almost guaranteed was by other divers who saw an opportunity, and took it.
We realized when those 2 cases were not even from trucks at shore dives, but from common gear areas within a resort, that we needed to rethink what we left visible, even on large, well guarded resorts.
I am not naming the resort where I was a witness, because I was very sure from the reactions of senior staff at that resort that it was from staff. I am only aware of the second case because I was in the area when it was reported.
Staff was certain that it was a diver, customer, especially as in my case it was a piece of gear that only fit one brand simply not terribly common on Bonaire at that time, so only had value to the diver who suddenly had equipment failure, and Colleen's Hycyon rig was conveniently there, unmatched.
Just because there may be other "tourists", strangers at a dive site, there is no guarantee that there are no sticky fingers nearby when backs are turned.
I read a great deal about the dishonesty on Bonaire, but I am not convince that the problem is strickly homegrown.
Bonaire is not the only place where sticky fingers are common. Not all who dive are total Angel's, or your local LDS would not need to lock some items up.

So who has investigated rentals? Where is the best place and the cost for per day or week?
I'm looking at a few: Here's what I have so far...
PlaceURLTotal Price"Advertised" Price per DayKey Features
Ultimate Dive Trucks
$725
N/A only a week
Decked out truck, no other FAQ notes on what's included - would need to call
Bonaire Truck Rental TBD$53Standard CDW Insurance (but not full), second driver for free, and tank rack. No internet quote, need to call
AB Car Rental $503.37
$45
• Pick Up standard
• 4 doors/ 5 seats
• A/C and a dive tank rack in the back
• Allowed in National Park Washington Slagbaai

Free additional drivers if coverage plan added

CDW + FULL COVERAGE quoted - no deductible
Hertz $534.78N/ACDW only included in quote, no additional drivers, another upcharge for full coverage, $500 deduct
Airport Pickup

Based on this *right now* I would go with AB Car Rental - That's a decent Mitsubishi L200 with AC, full CDW/LDW with zero deductible, etc.

*EDIT* - ok not the prettiest formatting, but I tried - and not sure why Hertz shows up in German?

Over the years we have used various rental agencies on Bonaire, but we narrowed it down to AB nearly every time, unless we are using a resort package where trucks are included.
They rent the right vehicle for Bonaire shore diving, for a decent price, and have the staff to service them should you need roadside assistance.
This at least has been our experience. As advertising disclaimers have been known to state: Individual Experiences May Differ.

Back
Top Bottom