Shore Diving and Theft

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After 4 trips to Bonaire I have yet to entice those clever theives with my old t-shirts, sandals or recycled water bottles during shore dives.

But I'm going to Maui in two months, will probably do some shore diving and have heard that the likelihood of theft is far greater. So, unlike in Bonaire, I'll probably leave even less in the car.

After 14 days in Curacao, never had a thing stolen from the beach....Now the apartment being broken into was another whole story.....

sjspeck:
No diveop will fill another's tanks. So no resale value...

Do the shops in Bonaire do the same thing that some shops in FL do, leave the vis stickers out of date so no1 else will fill them? :D

What vis stickers??? I haven't seen a tank there yet with them on it.

Bluwolf..Been diving on Bonaire for over 20 years & have never had anything stolen from my rental vehicle. At divesites, we bring water, cheap flip flops, ratty T shirts & sun screen, sunglasses and towels.. That's all you need! Go & enjoy the diving.

Drewpy, after reading your post, and Scubadobado's insightful post, I am now convinced that theft on Bonaire is greatly exaggerated and that renting a car/truck on Bonaire and traveling around the island is as safe as any other place. Divers should not worry about leaving gear in the rental auto when they dive because, as has been stated in this thread, and others, the stuff never gets touched and is there when you come out of the water. Hey, one poster said he left cash in the car, imagine?, and it was still there when he came back. One poster said he left his wallet in the truck and it was safe and dry when he returned. So, divers, don't worry your heads over safety things. Sorry for telling you the sky was falling. I am now assured by your post that diving around the island of Bonaire from rental cars/trucks is a safe practice, on a safe island.

My apologies to the Bonaire police too. It seems they are hard working and doing a great job and have eradicated whatever small problem there was some years ago. I hope other islands are looking at the Bonaire model and will duplicate their success.

Divers, have a great time in Bonaire diving from your rental car and don't sweat leaving a few pieces of gear in the rental when you submerge because it is safe and that stuff will be there when you return from your dive. Sorry for being an alarmist.

Drewpy:
I was wondering how long before PF showed up..... # 3 post?

Seriously......dont sweat it! Go dive and have a good time!

I put 2 crisp 1 dollar bills on my dash for two weeks...guess what?-no takers at all!

Its really not an issue!

Drew

Absolutely a safe practice on a safe Island!

PF -I dont mean to be a jerk, but you always seem to have a axe to grind about Bon,which I dont understand? Were you a victim of theft there?

I dont worry about gear left behind because its all with me underwater!
They are welcome to my old flip-flops and recycled water bottle...

I actually feel safer in Bon shorediving than I do in Monterey...

Lets go shorediving in Jamaica..or Puerto Rico..or St Thomas?

Happy Diving!

Drew

As cheddarchick posted, we expected to be ripped off on the beaches of Curacao(we were'nt.), but someone broke into our apartment pulling the steel security grate off the building and stealing over $5000.00 worth of items.

Drewpy:
Absolutely a safe practice on a safe Island!

Drew

No doubt about it. Very safe. People have left cash and wallets in the rentals and no one has bothered them. Hey, rent cars and dive around the island without any worries. Sounds good to me. Happy diving

pilot fish:
No doubt about it. Very safe. People have left cash and wallets in the rentals and no one has bothered them. Hey, rent cars and dive around the island without any worries. Sounds good to me. Happy diving

Seriously PF, what's your personal story with Bonaire? I noticed you have been there on your profile. No teasing, what's the story, I don't recall you mentioning it before.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom