Shore Diving and Theft

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

piikki:
I guess you don't get stopped for driver's license too much on the island either... (By the way how are rental cars - do you need to list all drivers separately or is it very lax that anyone with license can drive and crash the car?? :D)
Funny you should mention that. Our diveop mgr. told us she drives everywhere without hers and that if she ever needed it, she'd be allowed to go get it. Not sure if that works for tourists though.

I'd put anybody on the list that might drive otherwise they might not be covered by the CDW waiver. Most drive/dive packages include it. Although you'd have to work to hit anyone anywhere but in town. People do occasionally hit a donkey around the lagoon by the airport since they stay by the road looking for handouts.

piikki:
Thanks again for great advice. I am starting to get the idea. I guess you don't get stopped for driver's license too much on the island either... (By the way how are rental cars - do you need to list all drivers separately or is it very lax that anyone with license can drive and crash the car?? :D)

I need to get one more drybox for my spectacles, and get used to the idea that I can't take my favourite sturdy sandals on every site. Great to know visitors can use the lockers too. I hate flip flopping with my busted up ankles, so maybe few more sites I can do in better footwear. I am planning to pack a couple of padlocks anyway.
List all drivers that may use the vehicle with the rental company. The rentals I've had have been very good(quad cab trucks). Hope you can drive a stick, as automatics are very few down there. Don't worry about a DL. Lock it up.

I take my good sandals with me on every dive. I do, however, hide them and script sunglasses out of sight. I want to keep em. A couple hundred dives and no issue. I also hide a little cash in a place no thief usually thinks of looking. Again, no issues. As many have said, I too believe the theft problem on Bonaire is blown out of proportion and beat to death.

piikki:
Thanks again for great advice. I am starting to get the idea. I guess you don't get stopped for driver's license too much on the island either... (By the way how are rental cars - do you need to list all drivers separately or is it very lax that anyone with license can drive and crash the car?? :D)

If you are stopped in a traffic check the police can always follow you back to your dwelling to see your license. Chances are, once they find out you are visiting they will let you go. This is not a guarantee though.... :14:

It is a good idea to carry a scanned copy of your C-card especially if you want to visit Washington Slagbaai National Park. You pay to support both parks when you buy your dive/nature tag and the rangers will want to see the receipt and a photo id. It's a great place to spend a day. Bring lots of water!

I carry scanned copies of my passport & license in my carry on as well. Have never needed them but would rather cover all possibilities.

The rental agencies that we have used on Bonaire have required both of us to show our licenses to be listed as drivers. Some companies charge extra for a second driver and others do not. When heading out for dives neither one of us carries our license but we have considered keeping a copy under the seat. We were stopped once at a traffic check (where everyone was required to stop) and were allowed to go on without a problem. My husband simply told the police officer that he did not carry valuables when diving.

We had no issues whatsoever. Just got back (PBD setting in). We started off hiding our sandals & sunglasses under the seat, but by the end of the week, we just tossed them into the truck along with the towels, clothes & everything else, and went diving. I even left my WAL in the glove compartment, never any issues. We met some friends in Curacao on the trip back and they said it was the opposite there, had to lock up their vehicle and hide everythign from sight all the time. In Bonaire, we left our truck unlocked all night. Only place we locked it was when we went into town for dinner. I was listed as the main driver in our RPOC truck and my buddy was secondary (extra $4/day). No big deal.

We didn't have a problem with theft during my trip. It would have been a score, had our truck been searched a few times. Once I had several bottles of Guinness Foreign Extra stuffed under the seats. lol

My wife and I brought inexpensive sunglasses with us and took them down in a BC pocket with the truck keys. We did see broken glass at White Slave where someone locked their door. Oopsie.

bluwolf:
Thanks to all....including PF, but would still like to hear the story, must be one. Actually going to Curacao, but I believe both islands must be similar.

Personally, do not plan on leaving anything I can't easily afford to lose, but going to leave dry clothes and towel. If I have to drive back wet in my speedo, so be it. Still months away, but will surely post my own experiences. But doesn't really sound like anything to worry about on a vacation to a beautiful island.

Why are years so long....and where the heck is spell check on this thing....

We've been to both Bonaire & Curacao twice, and never had anything stolen - but as the cheddarfolks can point out, some of that is luck.

Things we don't do is leave cash, keys, etc in plain sight. We also lock the vehicle with the windows rolled up, as the insurance will not cover any such stuff if you leave the windows down and / or the vehicle unlocked while unattended.

On Curacao, there are a number of sites that charge a nominal entrance fee - and enjoy better security this way IMO. Ones we've visited were Porto Mari (both trips), Cas Abou (recent trip), Vaersenbaai (recent trip), Director's Bay (previous trip), and Jan Thiel (previous trip). We also did shore dives at Playa Forti without issues, except at dusk and early evening the fishermen use the beach and they let me know they don't really like divers there during their turn. I don't have a problem with this. Vaersenbaai is right by the police target range, so during the day this I think adds to dive site security from theft, along with the nominal entrance fee.

There is always the possibility of another tourist going through your stuff, rather than a local, while you're U/W - some folks don't really factor that in; I have seen posts by some on that issue.

PM me if you want specifics on our xperiences on Curacao, and don't miss at least meeting ScubaTexasTony while you're there!

Have a great trip!

Like most people here, we didn't have any trouble with stealing. Of course, we had heard the stories, met various people who'd had problems, so took precautions. I wore my booties instead of flip-flops; did not bring a towel; brought only recycled frozen water bottles; put my sunglasses in my BC jacket. My husband carried money, etc. in his waterproof container and my son carried his prescription glasses in another watertight container.

At one point I remember getting so paranoid that I hid some suntain lotion, etc. behind a rock near the truck. Well, it was still there when we got back, so that was good.

Leave only what you can afford to lose is good advice, I believe, especially if you don't feel like gambling on being lucky.

The thing is, when you think about it, nearly everything is irreplaceable, in that you have to shop to replace it, which takes away from valuable diving time. But then, I HATE shopping, especially for sensible crap.

No doubt about it, having to leave your windows down and doors unlocked and nothing in your car/truck is a pain in the *****. But it wouldn't be fair to say crime is worse on Bonaire than in other dive destinations. How many other places do you leave your car unattended in a lonely spot where would-be thieves KNOW you are safely underwater? At most other dive destinations, we spend our days on boats and our stuff back at the resort, so there really is no comparison. OTOH, it's equally foolish to insinuate that these are normal precautions that people take everywhere, including in the U.S. At most places I go to back home, including the beach, I can lock stuff in my car and go off for hours without worrying that I'm going to come back to find my window smashed in.

Botton line: this petty crime is a nuisance, but the fantastic shore diving of Bonaire is well worth it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom