Shore dive pompano dropoff?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My dear, are you laughing at the "about a zillion" or the "prop scars" comment? and to minorly jack this thread, want to dive LBTS with us tomorrow morning?
yes, I am laughing about the prop scars!
And gosh I would LOVE to join ya, but note the time of this reply. It's late, I'm tired, got whooped on a boat dive today, been out walking the beach for the turtles the past 3 hours, and have a bit o rum in ice right now to get me in beddy bye mode. :)
BUT! we must get together soon. I miss diving with ya!

to the both of ya- I need buddies Aug 15th-21st, thats a monday to a sunday

yes i'm redundant, isn't that what advanced diving is all about?

but anyway, Im going to want do shore diving shore diving shore diving

little less than 5 weeks to go!

Bilsant, where are good spots to enter for LBTS?
I've heard SE 12th street, I believe i've also been told hibiscus ave?

Here's some good info on LBTS http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/florida-conch-divers/290550-lauderdale-sea-beach-dive.html

If I am not mistaken, South Florida Dive HQ also takes scuba trips to the Pompano drop off, or at least sites really close to it. I know some people shore dive the Copenhagen wreck which is not terribly far away. I wanted to check out the site before I tried to shore dive it and this dive op takes people there. So that is an option if you want to check out shallow diving in Pompano before you commit to shore diving it. Visit One of the "Top Ten" Scuba and Snorkel Dive Locations, Sunny Sourth Florida, with South Florida Diving Headquarters

I did the drop off today and will tell you those mooring balls are much further out than they
appear from shore. It is doable but you need patience, good weather, and a good plan. I usually
surface swim most of the way out to these reefs and will usually return on the bottom. The surface swim
out took 40 minutes with relaxed but steady kick all the way out. The drop off was great but since I was
planning a return with compass on the bottom I had to leave the ledge sooner than I would have liked. The
return took a very long time. I thought I would do better than the 40 minute surface swim out but the return
on bottom was close to the same 40 minutes. Just getting from the outside edge (drop off) to the inside edge
took quite a while, then a swim over sand, then another reef then a swim over sand, getting close now. Some will
surface swim back to increase bottom time on reef, I personally want to be closer and closer to shore as my air starts
to get down a bit. If I had to rate this I would rate it an advanced shore dive if for no other reason the distance from
the shore if problems were to arise or sudden weather changes.

I totally want to get an inflatable raft and paddle out.

Ive been ripped a new one from multiple users in the SB chat when I asked for opinions, but I really don't think it's that bad of an idea. theres less chance of boaters not seeing you and having close calls. You could probably make better time and use less energy VS swimming the 400 yds. Once at the site you could mount the flag on the front of the raft (easier to see), and make some sort of anchor with a weight.
Rafts arent too expensive compared to kayaks, and can fit in my car :D

Maybe ill post a question in the basic section

Here's some good info on LBTS http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/florida-conch-divers/290550-lauderdale-sea-beach-dive.html

If I am not mistaken, South Florida Dive HQ also takes scuba trips to the Pompano drop off, or at least sites really close to it. I know some people shore dive the Copenhagen wreck which is not terribly far away. I wanted to check out the site before I tried to shore dive it and this dive op takes people there. So that is an option if you want to check out shallow diving in Pompano before you commit to shore diving it. Visit One of the "Top Ten" Scuba and Snorkel Dive Locations, Sunny Sourth Florida, with South Florida Diving Headquarters

My $.02 worth......I dived the dropoff with SFDH last Sun...1st dive just the ledge.....2nd Copenhagen...both anchored. The Copenhagen would be an excellent drift dive especially if you could dive it for at least 90min. Unfortunately, before the 1st dive I was told by the captain of the Coral Princess that day he wanted me on board within 45min. Ok' I went along with that. 2nd dive he tells me he would like me on board after 30-35min. I balked at that. :no:Did 46 min on the Copenhagen wreckage and was really miffed. Don't think I would do the dropoff as a shore dive. You gotta be in great shape and even then I still think it would be very exhausting.

Dived LBTS for the first time Tues. and Wed...from Hibiscus.....2 dives 1st reef on Tues. and 2 dives on the 2nd reef Wed....for me an 8 min UW swim to 1st reef and 15 min. UW swim to the second reef. Fun dives with plenty of bottom time. Water temp 84º to 86º and viz 40 to 50'

Has anybody dived the Copenhagen as a night dive? I think it could be a winner.

The Copenhagen as a night dive is extremely nice, I've done it as a second dive a few times and not once was disappointed. It is a super easy dive but that does not translate into a nothing dive, there is plenty of marine life with the typical surprises of the area.

As far as diving with SFHQ and they wanting you back on board after just 45min.... that bites. Never mind 35 for the 2nd dive, I'm glad you balked at that. Not only that is a dive right off the inlet that cost very little fuel to run, they actually anchor the boat? I assume they moored but whatever.... that goes into less fuel which equals even less cost for them as opposed to live boating around divers, the least they can do is wait for at least an hour for people to enjoy their dives. There is plenty to see in both the drop off and the Copenhagen.

Finally I agree with your assessment of those being a bit too far for beach dives, then again I'm getting old and lazy, haven't done a beach dive in forever, owning a little boat did that to me. Actually before having the boat I had a kayak I used for those dives... I guess I've been lazy even when young.

I am relatively young (20), in mediocre shape

maybe ill work on my cardio first :p

Finally I agree with your assessment of those being a bit too far for beach dives, then again I'm getting old and lazy, haven't done a beach dive in forever, owning a little boat did that to me. Actually before having the boat I had a kayak I used for those dives... I guess I've been lazy even when young.

Lotta work kayak diving. I haven't done it in 6 years. Probably wouldn't do it again either. Just trying to dream up a way to get out there and have some decent bottom time. Thanks for your input.

My $.02 worth......I dived the dropoff with SFDH last Sun...1st dive just the ledge.....2nd Copenhagen...both anchored. The Copenhagen would be an excellent drift dive especially if you could dive it for at least 90min. Unfortunately, before the 1st dive I was told by the captain of the Coral Princess that day he wanted me on board within 45min. Ok' I went along with that. 2nd dive he tells me he would like me on board after 30-35min. I balked at that. :no:Did 46 min on the Copenhagen wreckage and was really miffed. .

That is the one negative about SFDHQ: short dive times give the shallow depth. I had a similar experience except my dive buddy and I totally misunderstood the captain/dive master on our first dive on the reef. We ended up doing a 60 minute first dive and the captain was really mad once we got back on the boat. I only used about 1200 psi on the dive! Putting a positive spin on it, you'll only need one tank to do a two tank dive!!

I have gone out with the again, but do so with the expectation that the dives will only be 45 minutes long.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom