Shooting a Bull Shark

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just watched the video after reading everyone's posts. Sorry, but I don't see anything particularly wrong with the video. A single, well placed bullet is a tool. I wonder how many of the posters have ever tried to clean a large toothy fish, intent on biting whatever it can, while it was still mostly alive.

My how times have changed... shooting a shark before you landed it was pretty common practice in the not-too-distant past and they taste great. HOWEVER, if it's illegal now then it's illegal. I'm with Eric as far as whether it's better to die slowly or quickly. BTW, I am not sure that this is a Bull. The dorsal fin has no slope back and the z-line is pretty visible. I think it's a reefie, but I suck at shark ID.

FWIW, a bull has to be 54" from nose to fork to be legally caught in Florida waters. I have no idea what the federal guidelines are. Thanks to Carriesal for the online FWC Rules link.

I just watched the video after reading everyone's posts. Sorry, but I don't see anything particularly wrong with the video. A single, well placed bullet is a tool. I wonder how many of the posters have ever tried to clean a large toothy fish, intent on biting whatever it can, while it was still mostly alive.

IIRC the shark survived (never made it onto the boat) ....... so much for the "single, well placed bullet" part of your theory. Perhaps target practice should be in order before they torture another animal.

And I do agree that IF I have but 2 choices, I take the quick death but in this case, this shark had 3......slow (suffocation), quick(shot to the brain) and tortured (shot by a blind man who had no right attempting that shot) but free. Seems fair.

I seriously doubt that shark was brought on board. If they inteneded to keep it, they would have brought it a lot closer to the boat. Those scared kids say a lot....
Also, the FWC (?) has reported not to eat shark at this time. Sorry no link, a buddy told me about it this morning.

They were pretty stupid about the handling, IF they wanted to boat the shark. I don't think they shot the line but rather it snapped when the shark reacted to the bullet. Did it die afterwards? Quite possibly but then as stupid as he is, he might have missed and the noise/flash/percussion caused the shark to bolt. If they really wanted to harvest the shark, then they should have gaffed it and gotten it under control before they tried to kill it. People aren't born stupid: they work hard to reach that achievement. :D

I think you miss the main point implied in most of the posts - we don't want the shark killed - regardless of method.

I'm the farthest thing from a "bleeding heart" - but I found the video disturbing because of the glee exhibited by the kids on board (although I guess I could understand why they were all excited); another group of young people taught to fear sharks, and that it's all right to kill them.

And while I'll be happy to defer to more knowledgeable posters re guns in general, I'll stick with my comment that its a really bad idea to fire a gun at the water, or objects on the water, or slightly below.

In fact, there is a famous story from the late '60's (early '70's?) that the former NYC chief of dectives Al Seidman writes about in his book - long story short - guy is out on his boat fishing for bluefish, shoots a shark with his .22 rifle - bullet travels above and across the water, ends up killing a woman on land - so yes, s__t happens.

PS To Pete; my shark ID is likely on a par w/ yours but I too suspect it was a reef shark, not that it really matters - I hate to see them killed unless and until they have some part of my body in their mouth.

the shark is not a bull. It looks more like a reef shark to me. I have an email out to a shark expert for confirmation.

What a shame to set an example like this in front of children.

Last edited:
when did "fisherman" start using hand guns? If it is legal, then legally fish for it. using a rod and reel or spear gun.(although he probably dosent have the balls for that) otherwise let it go............

Again-- shark fishing is legal. Bullsharks are NOT protected. Giving the choice between suffcation on the deck for the long ride in and getting shot in the head. Shoot me in the head.

I was talking to my friend earlier today and he mentioned he used to use a gun on jewfish when he was younger-(when it was legal to catch them)!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom