Shoes with flippers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They're "fins", not "flippers". :)

I mostly shore dive with a pair of Pinnacle dive boots (an older model from a couple years back), but for long walks over rocky terrain like ironshore, Scubapro's heavy duty boots would be just the ticket: SCUBAPRO - HEAVY DUTY BOOT

They're "fins", not "flippers". :)

I mostly shore dive with a pair of Pinnacle dive boots (an older model from a couple years back), but for long walks over rocky terrain like ironshore, Scubapro's heavy duty boots would be just the ticket: SCUBAPRO - HEAVY DUTY BOOT

Those are 6.5 mm of neoprene. If the OP is going to Bonaire, he might prefer less neoprene, like the 3 mm hard-soled Bare booties I linked to above. Perfect for ironshore entries.

Flipper was a mammal :D

Since my two Achilles Tendon surgeries I only wear OTB Boots: Amazon.com: OTB BOOTS The Abyss and the Odhin are my favorite, but they are becoming harder to find. They were designed for Navy Seals and OTB stands for their intended use: Over The Beach. I use nylon "liner" socks with them and pull the sock over the laces so they don't snag. They have drainage holes which allow the water to leave the shoe between dives so you don't have a wrinkled mess by the end of the day. They dry on my feet in about an hour or an hour and a half. I've been wearing them since 2005 or so and nothing else supports me.

Reactions: D_B
I didn't miss it, I was just trying to add to the frivolity and fun.

Ok, you missed 2/3s of the joke. Do you have to be so obvious about it? :D

I too was concerned about this when I went a few weeks ago. I took these Scubapro booties and they did fine.

I also took some Walmart water shoes ( Men's Performance Aqua Shoe: Shoes : Walmart.com) if it got really gnarly but never used them. They don't offer any arch support but I found I didn't walk all that far and if you watch where your feet are going, it's not bad.

My bigger problem was stepping on slippery rocks or in holes on entry or exit that I couldn't see because of the surf / stirred up sand. I think I took two tumbles during the week and thanks to a full wetsuit, no damage was done, just looked like a klutz.

Jim

Attachments

• SCPBDS3.jpg
    SCPBDS3.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 139
Those are 6.5 mm of neoprene. If the OP is going to Bonaire, he might prefer less neoprene, like the 3 mm hard-soled Bare booties I linked to above. Perfect for ironshore entries.

IMO, a bit more neoprene in a dive boot is not a bad thing. I dive both of those dive boots exclusively in warm water, the extra 2mm or 3.5mm in thickness is not a problem, in fact I find they provide better support for sloshing in from a shore dive than the 3mm booties I've used in the past (and have since relegated to the useless-scuba-stuff-container-of-shame).

As an example, I used the 5mm Pinnacles for an entire week's worth off dropoff dives at CCV last week. I found them perfectly suited to the task.

YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom