shock cord fin straps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

animatedknots.com

Awesome web site! Thanks for the link! :banana::worship:

Know of any other good sites?

Under $5 removable 'spring' straps

100_0560[1].jpg100_0559[1].jpgHere's my version of spring straps. 3' 3/32 bungee cord at $0.29 foot, 2 1" Fastex side release buckles (use only male half), 1 zipper pull cord.

I tied each end with a double half-hitch around all 3 strands and passed the zipper pull over the entire bundle and buckle.

I can still unbuckle the strap from the fin, or use the original strap (now in my spares). You may need to start with a longer piece of bungee cord - I have small feet (mens size 7). I used 3/32" rather than the thicker cord because it ties better and into a smaller knot. Tension tightens the knot.

Cutting the 'bar' out of the Fastex buckle isn't needed - its just what I had.

Another version of 'spring' straps - this time repairing a broken fin

This fin had the post pull out leaving a hole. I took a block of plastic and tapped a 1/4 x 20 thread and drilled a hole for the bungee cord. Then inserted a 1/4 x 20 carriage bolt and large washer. Once in place I drilled a hole thru the block and bolt and inserted a cotter pin. It's finished off with a length of tubular webbing and a stout O-ring as a pull tab. My pool fins are fixed!100_0563[1].jpg100_0562[1].jpg

DSCF2972.jpg

I've been using 3/8" bungee for several years now and love it. It's even easier to don/doff fins than with my spring straps and the bungee lasts for a few hundred dives. You can easily see when they begin to wear. My fiancee uses cable ties instead of knots in hers and it works fine. I will try that the next time I replace mine.

Along with the great idea of knots or zip ties, you might also try "hog rings". They're metal clips that are squeezed with pliers and they hold really tight.

I used mine like this for 3 years before installing springs. I never had an issue with the bungee.

This is an upgrade from the bungie/Buckle option.
I'm pretty sure that the male part of the buckle
does double duty.
It holds the strap on & keeps the female buckle part
from unclipping off the pin.post on the fins.

Somebody gave me a pair of black Beauchat fins. One of the pins for the straps came out underwater so I had to come up with a plan to continue. At the time I was suffering from a real bad case of "Moron-itis" and did not pack an extra pair as we had gone to Catalina. Anyway, I always carry 1/4" OD Black Surgical Hose from sales@4fishin.com. The only company I could find that has all types and colors and easy to deal with. Since I always carry zip ties as well, I was able to cobble connectors from stainless steel screen door springs someone had discarded and attached a double set of straps and the fins were ready for action. This was a couple of years ago and the same straps and springs are still on. No cracking no fading always pliable. I have also replaced the straps on my masks with surgical hose and no longer worry about the dang thing going out of adjustment and leaking underwater. I have replaced the straps on a couple of females masks and they are happy to report that their hair never tangles up on the strap wether the go in with a pony tail or just let the hair loose for underwater dramatic effect (LOL). Anyway, thought I would pass this along. That company also carries neon colors if ya wanna spice up your equipment.

Screw you guys, I'm going diving---Jacques Cartman. Hahahahahahaha! That one cracked me up brother! Love it! Hahahahahahaha!

Back
Top Bottom