Shipping Cylinders via Amtrak?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
OK so here is the newest dilemma. I need to transport all my gear from WA to CA for a few months. I figure since the USMC wants me there I might as well make the best of my time there. Since I will be flying directily to CA I need to ship my gear via some carrier. I believe Amtrak might be the way to go. They have a decent cargo service and can ship rather close to my location. So here is the question.... Does anyone have any experience shipping cylinders via Amtrak? I am guessing that if I drain them, and crate them, there should be no problems.

If anyone has a better idea I am all ears.

You can prob drain them and crate them and have no problems, assuming that Amtrack does de-rail on the way. (which is very likely in my opinion).

However, DOT does consider shipping a pressure tank as HAZMAT (if under
pressure), so officially you should remove the valves. Put a piece of clear
tape over the opening of the tank so they can see in the tank easily.
Put the valves in ziplock bags so they can been seen w/o getting dirty.

mike_s:
You can prob drain them and crate them and have no problems, assuming that Amtrack does de-rail on the way. (which is very likely in my opinion).

However, DOT does consider shipping a pressure tank as HAZMAT (if under
pressure), so officially you should remove the valves. Put a piece of clear
tape over the opening of the tank so they can see in the tank easily.
Put the valves in ziplock bags so they can been seen w/o getting dirty.

Which may also mean a new VIP. I got lucky and got a refill after mine were drained for shipment. The valve stayed on.

If you are flying there, why not just load them on the plane...
I don't really think there is a problem if you drain them, remove the valve and such...
Just my 2c..
K

To tell the truth I did not know I could ship them on the plane. I suppose it is just the same deal with draining them and pulling the valve. Somehow I imagine that TSA would be opening that package to inspect.

I would take them on the plane except for two things. First I will be shipping four 98 foot cylinders, and secondly I will be flying from NC to CA not via WA.

I have shipped cylinders via FedEx ground before. it is expensive and they are kind of a pain to deal with. They use the same rules as you guys have laid out. No air, valve out, and they have a weigt limit. They would be inefficient for this trip.

Greyhound is another shipping method, not expensive either.

Travis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom