Shift in Thinking

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All the best stuff I have ever shot, would have been impossible for anyone wearing doubles.

Um... Care to elaborate?

I just can't see what can't be done in doubles that you can do with a single

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

Um... Care to elaborate?

I just can't see what can't be done in doubles that you can do with a single

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

All the most "marketable" footage I have shot underwater, was shot either having to stay in the midst of fast moving large marine life...stay "with" them...or it required positioning myself rapidly into a position, frequently at odds with large currents.....In each of my best shots like this, had I been wearing doubles, there is no possible way I could have swam fast enough with all the extra drag. The difference is dramatic at higher speeds in larger currents....And..before you toss the Scooter solution out :), I have a Gavin....and yes, that helps sometimes, though a Gavin pulling me with a 120 and my 18 pound wing, runs MUCH faster than the Gavin will with a set of doubles plus 40 pound doubles wing.

Using a Gavin might be the first clue you're not taking the DPV solution all that seriously, but whatever works for ya :D

"80s divers can't even swim worth a damn, much less dive right. If they aren't going to do it properly why don't they just save the money for their travel BCs and take up knitting?"

Can somebody explain what this tiring gibberish (and the rest of all of it) means? I do not know if I am an 80s diver or not but I can just about assure you I can swim circles around you. But it would not get my heart rate up enough to make it worth the effort to;

annoy the hell out of you

Meh.

N

I took this footage during a tropical boat dive I did in a not too distant past. One reason why I only recorded nineteen seconds, is because I felt somewhat guilty and ashamed that I was finding the imagery rather comedic. This is supposed to be a 15ft safety stop.

What do you guys think?
[youtubehq]qjknOGuUXVo[/youtubehq]

What do you guys think?

It makes me wince, sure, but these guys aren't likely going to be doing deco dives or journey into caves. They're just in the ocean to have fun, so as long as they don't kill themselves or damage the environment I don't care if they flail during a safety stop. Besides, flailing upside down makes for way more interesting footage than motionless divers in trim :wink:

In reference to the 19 sec film,,,,, we have all done this at one time or another. I know i did this untill i decided i wasnt going to need a line any more to hold depth. I derived the motivation from seeing the success of others in the water and asking how they did it. I probably cant hold depth to 6" for 5 minutes but i can in a 2 foot window with out effort. I would guess these are vacation divers.

I've seen worse ... but without knowing the experience level of these divers it's hard to be terribly critical. The one on the right, who's waving his arms around and bicycle kicking makes me want to go over to him after the dive and offer a bit of mentoring ... but at least he was managing to maintain his depth.

To me he looks like a fresh out of OW diver who needs some fine-tuning and a bit of practice ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

But listening to recreational prattle puts my teeth on edge.

It might just be the amount of noise they are making, having little to do with what they are talking about. I hate being stuck on a boat for half a day with someone who can't shut up regardless of what they are saying. But for the new diver this is also a way to continue learning from people with more experience so I really can't fault them for that.

I can just about assure you I can swim circles around you.

george-takei-oh-my.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom