Shift in Thinking

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

go over to him after the dive and offer a bit of mentoring ... but at least he was managing to maintain his depth.

I suppose the crux of my OP hovers right around this point and the "ego" point so many others have raised. I love it when people strive and learn and work to get better.

I'm nowhere near the diver I want to be and work on it as much as I can. I try to dive with my betters and learn everything they are willing to impart. But the fact is I do know quite a lot, some of it obvious, some of it esoteric. And I try to be as good a mentor to people who are looking for it as I can be to pay it all back.

What drives me daffy is when I try to politely and quietly offer advice to someone I just saw kick the crap out of a 300 year old coral formation and I get back the, "I've been diving in Indonesia and I have all this fancy gear that my instructor who knows everything sold me. Also, my mom thinks I'm handsome."

I should probably take a moment to point out that I techies aren't immune from my eye-rolling moments, though. Like the time I signaled to a diver on a DIR team (in proper GUE-approved hand signals) that their right post was bubbling; since I was in a single 80 and a shop BC at the time whatever nonsense I was talking was dismissed.

So perhaps ya'lls are right. It's not 80s divers that annoy me per se, it's the 80s divers who think they're just the damned bees knees.

This is an old problem with a newish face. Copper helmeted commercial divers and “Skin Divers” ridiculed each other in the 1950s and 60s. Tensions developed between common air breathers and mixed gas (HeO2) prima donnas in commercial and military diving after that. Cold water Scuba divers have long felt superior to “warm water pansies”. Cave divers versus North Atlantic wreck divers. FBI versus local police. Academics versus <fill in the blank>.

You dont know, what you dont know.

I took this footage during a tropical boat dive I did in a not too distant past. One reason why I only recorded nineteen seconds, is because I felt somewhat guilty and ashamed that I was finding the imagery rather comedic. This is supposed to be a 15ft safety stop.

What do you guys think?
It looks like me on my second drysuit dive....

Unless you carry wrenches, a bajillion ton lift sling, or a welding torch with you, we are all rec divers.

Unless you carry wrenches, a bajillion ton lift sling, or a welding torch with you, we are all rec divers.

It's not uncommon for wreck divers to carry wrenches, hammers, chisels or even broco torches...just sayin.

Oh. : (

$_1.JPG

Commercial divers may not be the best example to use for the 19 second video. They spend most of their time walking on the bottom, climbing on something or hanging off something, they do not hover.

Commercial divers may not be the best example to use for the 19 second video. They spend most of their time walking on the bottom, climbing on something or hanging off something, they do not hover.

... they wouldn't get much work done if they did. Completely different mission ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom