Shift in Thinking

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

or any other 8" diameter tank..... Could be a lp98, 108/112, 121, E8-119 or E8-130, but likely a 130. They are big tanks, you've got that right. I prefer double LP72's for that gas volume requirement.

I don't mean to single you out, Tom, but this attitude is our problem. We see one or two rec knowitalls and we stereotype the rest as being just like them. The reverse is also true.

Ding ding ding. I've been diving since 1981, cave diving off and on since 1994, teaching off and on since 1995, and the knowitalls from either camp are the annoying ones. Both camps have their knowitalls, I see it every time I dive Ginnie Springs and every time I do a 30' reef dive. It's not a rec or tech thing, it's simply an ego thing.

Just go have your fun, and let others have their fun and quit generalizing and categorizing people based on the type of diving they do.

They are big tanks
They sure are. The biggest singles in common use on this side of the pond are 15L steels. They take either 105, 120 or 145 cuf, depending on the pressure rating (200, 232 or 300 bar), but AFAIK none of them are as fat as that. At least they don't seem so to me, and I've got one 15x200 and one 15x300 in my basement.

Dang, that was a big-a$$ single. What type is it?

It's a 119 ... pretty standard fare for around here, once folks get past the AOW phase of diving here. It drops off to about 90 feet pretty quickly once you get past that building in the photo, and you can stay deep for a long time. That's why EAN32 is also pretty standard fare for diving around here.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

It's a 119 ... pretty standard fare for around here
Thanks. Interesting.

Around here, the common singles are 10x300, 15x200 and 12x300, and the occasional 15x232. That's 100, 105, 115 and 120 cuf for you Imperial guys. 9 out of 10 who want to carry more gas than that usually go for doubles. You can also see quite a few small double sets, typically D7x300 or D8.5x232, which hold about 135 cuf, used for pure rec diving. Never heard or seen any kind of prejudice against doubles, because those small double sets are quite popular with the rec crowd.

I got my 15x300 (145 cuf) as a part of a set I bought used. Hasn't been too useful so far, because if I'm on air I have a pretty nice match between NDL and minimum gas time when I'm carrying about 100 cuf. It might change when I take my nitrox cert, though.

I gave up on back-mounted doubles when age and useage started interfering with my ability to reach back to manipulate my valves. When I need doubles now I go sidemount. When I just need a bit more gas I'll use a larger single ... I own several different size tanks, ranging from 80's to 130's. If I'm solo diving on a single, I'll sling an AL40 (aka, "my little buddy AL"). I almost never dive air anymore ... I have a monthly nitrox package with my local dive shop, and the standard fill is EAN32. Suits most of my diving nicely, and keeps my dive planning pretty well standardized.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I have two sets of double 80s' gathering dust in my garage....If I am going to do a real tech dive...or a serious penetration, fine, I will use the doubles....but most of the dives I can get high interest underwater video of, are BETTER executed with a "jacked" lp 120.....The volume of air is close to the same as doubles, and marine life videography does NOT have you penetrating most of the time, because usually that is a poor place for finding fish...(some times goliaths inside a wreck alter this, but these are not typically serious penetrations).... usually you are covering reef or the top or sides of a wreck, and being SLICK in the water, and able to ignore currents and move to where the shot for the fish are, means doubles are a defective choice--far too much drag...you just cant deal with getting around like you need to.

All the best stuff I have ever shot, would have been impossible for anyone wearing doubles.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom