Sherwood steels?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That would actually be VERY helpful. Thanks! There is a LOT of interest in PST coming back into the market, but people need to know if it's the "real thing" or an offshore knockoff with a PST sticker so they can make an informed decision.

Alright, I just talked to Steve at PST and got some of the low down. This may all be in another thread, Im not sure......Yes the sold the presses and engineering to NK in Korea. They are doing the Pressing of the tanks. They are then brought here and machined, hydroed, galvanized, etc. The MUST be up to PST standards before anything ships and I was ensured that the tanks will be of the original PST quality. All they are doing in Korea, according to Steve is Pressing the tanks. The new expected release is April. Again, I dont know if this was already out on another thread or if this helps any, but I just got off the phone

Mike

Dive Right In Scuba:
Alright, I just talked to Steve at PST and got some of the low down. This may all be in another thread, Im not sure......Yes the sold the presses and engineering to NK in Korea. They are doing the Pressing of the tanks. They are then brought here and machined, hydroed, galvanized, etc. The MUST be up to PST standards before anything ships and I was ensured that the tanks will be of the original PST quality. All they are doing in Korea, according to Steve is Pressing the tanks. The new expected release is April. Again, I dont know if this was already out on another thread or if this helps any, but I just got off the phone

Mike

PST does not set the standards, the DOT does.

Dive Right In Scuba:

Mike

Just so everyone understands WHY this is being done, in my opinion, is so that PST Cylinders can say MADE IN U.S.A. because if they can claim 51% of the value is American content it is legal to say that. My opinion is that if the core product, the cylinder itself, is made offshore, it is not MADE IN U.S.A.

Let the confusion begin!

Dive Right In Scuba:
LOL.....What I will do is start a thread before my journey to find out what you guys would like me to look for.....I hope what you say isnt true because I hate to be lied to......
Keep in mind you were talking to marketing types. They didn't lie to you, they simply omitted the truth. My guess is that they'll have some videos of how cylinders are made, because you ain't gonna find any drawing equipment up there, that's for sure...

Roak

Dive Right In Scuba:

Mike
"Pressing" the tanks is the most critical part of making a cylinder. That is when you make the pressure tank itself - starting with sourcing the metal, bottom configuration, wall thickness, bouyancy characteristics, etc. Everything after that is just finishing the cylinder. This will not be your "father's Buick". It will be a new beast and untried in the market. Best of luck to PST, but please don't try to tell us it's the same thing.

I guess we will see what develops when they come out and how good they are and if they are correct in saying the will be the same thing.

But I have a question for you guys, if its the same presses they used to use, the same engineering, the same stuff.......what does it matter what the guys name is who presses the button.....Granted I dont know anything about making tanks so do beat me up to bad....just trying to learn......As for saying made in the USA, then yes I agree its extremely misleading....but as for the quality......what do you guys think??

So what you are saying is "If a monkey presses the button it will be the same" ?

I can tell you have never worked in a manufacturing enviroment.

The folks from PST say that NK bought the presses, etc. They have never said that NK is using them. When you consider the size and age of PST's old equipment, why would anybody transport them half way around the world. It doesn't make sense. There was nothing special about the presses. It would not be totally beyond the realm of possibility that they were bought & scrapped. It would be interesting to see what was actually bought & shipped to Korea.

Back
Top Bottom