Sherwood steels?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hammerhead911

Registered
Reaction score
I found a guy that is selling two Scherwood HP100's. Does anyone have any input on these tanks? I love my Worthington HP100's. I thought i would check before I snatched them up. Thanks

Tell me who he is and you won't need to worry about asking about them. They're good tanks IMO. I want one more in fact.

You can buy them with confidence. I sell alot of sherwood tanks and they are very high quality and stand up to abuse. I use them for rentals as well. I use the 80s but have sold the HP100s and they are nice....what type of price are you getting them for? That will tell you how good of a deal your getting.

They are $150.00 a piece. Last hydro was 07/04 and the VIP ran out 3 months ago. I thought it sounded to good, so I was just checking. Lucky me!

My instructor has been using the same Sherwood HP100's since before I started diving with him, and that was sometime around 1995.

Are they the Sherwood branded PSTs? Good tanks. Skinny neck, 3500 psi DIN-only. Due to the skinny neck valve you won't have much choice in valves if you choose to double them up, and you're SOL if you dive with a yoke reg. If you only want them for singles, however, and have a DIN reg, the Sherwood-branded PST's are good tanks.

I've heard this rumor of Sherwood branded psi's but I wonder how you tell? All Sherwood tanks are 3500 psi 300 BAR din hookup for their steel versions and all have narrow necks to boot, I think it's 7/8" if I remember right. To my knowledge that alone won't tell you who made them.

I do know they've had various companies make their tanks so I'm certain PSI could have made them, but how do you tell? I've seen old Sherwoods and new Sherwoods, and they all look similar to me.

PS, I gave $75 for mine and $33 for a Hydro, vis and air fill for a total of $108. I consider a used older Sherwood to be worth between $100 and $150 tops. That includes shipping if needed. I personally prefer to see them in person before buying.

If they're made by PST, they're stamped PST. My tank is in the shop being filled, so I can't show you a picture offhand, but I assure you the tanks actually bear a PST manufacturer's stamp. Also, the DOT exemption code stamped on PST tanks is the same across the board. I'll dig up a pic of the stamp if I think about it, but in the end, just look for a PST logo stamped into the tank (looks a little bit like PSI with a big P, but it's actually PST). My PST HP100 was manufactured in 1992 and is still going strong as of earlier this year, if that's any indication of longevity.

Edit: The stamp looks a little bit like the PST in this logo, but the font is plain, not fancy:
pst.gif

CompuDude:
Are they the Sherwood branded PSTs? Good tanks. Skinny neck, 3500 psi DIN-only. Due to the skinny neck valve you won't have much choice in valves if you choose to double them up, and you're SOL if you dive with a yoke reg. If you only want them for singles, however, and have a DIN reg, the Sherwood-branded PST's are good tanks.

The newer Sherwoods are from Asahi with a DOT permit of 12079. They have the 3/4-14 thread.

Jibeho:
The newer Sherwoods are from Asahi with a DOT permit of 12079. They have the 3/4-14 thread.
Yes, I know, but it seems unlikely someone would be selling a pair of the new tanks for that cheap, thus the PST speculation. Possible, but less likely.

The Asahi tanks are not as well regarded as the PST tanks. That said, for the money, considering there is at least 4 more years before they need hydro again, it may be worth the risk. They may or may not pass hydro.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom