Sherwood Magnum Blizzard (second stage) overhaul

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I purge the regulator I don't get much air escaping and even when the tank is turned off, I have to inhale into the regulator to get the SPG to 0. Seems like I'm pretty close but the lever adjustment might be tricky as I don't have any steel.

It sounds like you have the orifice tightened down too far against the valve seat. When you push the purge button it should exhaust the air quickly at first, and then slowly down to zero psi.

Also, you said the diaphragm is not an issue. You also said it has a hole in it. I would expect it to breathe "wet" if it has a hole in it. I've never heard of anyone repairing a diaphragm and would not dive with one that had been repaired. Repairing it for test purposes only might be an option, but there are probably not very many adhesives that would bond to it well.

It sounds like you have the orifice tightened down too far against the valve seat. When you push the purge button it should exhaust the air quickly at first, and then slowly down to zero psi.

Also, you said the diaphragm is not an issue. You also said it has a hole in it. I would expect it to breathe "wet" if it has a hole in it. I've never heard of anyone repairing a diaphragm and would not dive with one that had been repaired. Repairing it for test purposes only might be an option, but there are probably not very many adhesives that would bond to it well.

I re-adjusted the orifice and that fixed the issue. The purge is good, and the breathing is perfect. I was going to test it in a 16ft deep pool but I should replace the HP seat and diaphragm. The only thing stopping me from buying parts at the moment are the high shipping costs for things that can be stuffed into a small envelope.

I re-adjusted the orifice and that fixed the issue. The purge is good, and the breathing is perfect. I was going to test it in a 16ft deep pool but I should replace the HP seat and diaphragm. The only thing stopping me from buying parts at the moment are the high shipping costs for things that can be stuffed into a small envelope.
Based upon the hole in the diaphragm and the stripped threads on the retainer and a new to you second stage I would bin it.

My life is worth just slightly more than the cost of buying a fully functional replacement on eBay.

Back
Top Bottom