Sherwood Dive Computer Hatch Key

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do hope they stay in business, as they've been around for 60+ years. However, after the two year warranty, they are under no obligation to do anything and I may be left to my own devices.
In the back of my mind, I worry that Pelagic Pressure Systems will quit building for other brands except their own, Aqua Lung. This might be the end of DSAT, Oceanic, Sherwood, and Genesis. It could end the Tusa PZ+ computers too. We'll see, perhaps my concerns are unfounded.

Probably had one. If not in package I would not be surprised that it was returned to leisure pro by someone and they sent it to you .

Are you surprised now? Crappy scrooge-like remark on Christmas eve.. I expected better from you. Bad mouthing a more successful competitor doesn't help anyone.

In the back of my mind, I worry that Pelagic Pressure Systems will quit building for other brands except their own, Aqua Lung. This might be the end of DSAT, Oceanic, Sherwood, and Genesis. It could end the Tusa PZ+ computers too. We'll see, perhaps my concerns are unfounded.
My impression is that the Aqualung branded items are probably in the minority where the output of product is concerned. I think I have also heard that Pelagic makes products for other industries too, such as aircraft and firefighting. So cutting off other customers that drive a significant part of the business would be a pretty questionable business decision. (You forgot the analog instruments they supply to XS Scuba, too.) The more immediate question is just how long Huish will continue to sell computers/instruments from 3 different manufacturers. Maybe 4 - who makes the Zeagle analogs? If anything changed soon, I would think it might come from Huish deciding to put their eggs in fewer baskets.

I do wonder who owns different designs, rights, and licenses in Pelagic products. I am disappointed that Aqualung hasn't introduced DSAT or Dual Algorithm to their own lineup. Maybe they don't think it is important, maybe they can't, or maybe they would have to pay someone a DSAT license fee (Sherwood/Oceanic/Huish and/or PADI?) and would rather not. They did recently change the Aqua Glide snorkel fins to a full blade rather than a split fin. Same price, but no more license fee to Nature's Wing.

Anyway, purely speculation...

...I do wonder who owns different designs, rights, and licenses in Pelagic products. I am disappointed that Aqualung hasn't introduced DSAT or Dual Algorithm to their own lineup. Maybe they don't think it is important, maybe they can't, or maybe they would have to pay someone a DSAT license fee (Sherwood/Oceanic/Huish and/or PADI?) and would rather not.

I have never understood the rights to the DSAT decompression algorithm. It was developed by DSAT to produce the PADI RDP

From Deco for Divers, Mark Powell, 2014, p 176:
The DSAT Recreational Dive Planner (PADI) model (1987)
The M-values used for the RDP were adopted from the Doppler bubble testing and tested by Dr Merrill Spencer and tested by Dr Raymond E Rogers, Dr Michael R Powell, and the colleagues with Diving Science and Technology Corp, a corporate affiliate of PADI. The DSAT M-values were empirically verified with extensive hyperbaric chamber and in water diver testing and Doppler monitoring.

I've always presumed that the rights to the computer implementation of the algorithm was acquired by American Underwater Products as the parent of Oceanic, Aeris, and Pelagic Pressure Systems. DSAT was implemented on Oceanic and Aeris computers and also on computers branded as Sherwood and Genesis, made by PPS.

I found it very interesting that after PPS was acquired by Aqua Lung, their computers ran only PZ+. I have to imagine that the purchase of PPS did not include rights to DSAT or it would have been implemented on Aqua Lung computers.

If anyone knows the story behind DSAT, I would absolutely love to hear it.

I have never understood the rights to the DSAT decompression algorithm. It was developed by DSAT to produce the PADI RDP

From Deco for Divers, Mark Powell, 2014, p 176:
The DSAT Recreational Dive Planner (PADI) model (1987)
The M-values used for the RDP were adopted from the Doppler bubble testing and tested by Dr Merrill Spencer and tested by Dr Raymond E Rogers, Dr Michael R Powell, and the colleagues with Diving Science and Technology Corp, a corporate affiliate of PADI. The DSAT M-values were empirically verified with extensive hyperbaric chamber and in water diver testing and Doppler monitoring.

I've always presumed that the rights to the computer implementation of the algorithm was acquired by American Underwater Products as the parent of Oceanic, Aeris, and Pelagic Pressure Systems. DSAT was implemented on Oceanic and Aeris computers and also on computers branded as Sherwood and Genesis, made by PPS.

I found it very interesting that after PPS was acquired by Aqua Lung, their computers ran only PZ+. I have to imagine that the purchase of PPS did not include rights to DSAT or it would have been implemented on Aqua Lung computers.

If anyone knows the story behind DSAT, I would absolutely love to hear it.
I would love more background too. My impression is that the sale of Pelagic was a dire financial necessity, and I would think if DSAT was wholly owned and Aqualung wanted it, they would have it. That's why I wonder if PADI and/or Sherwood have some co-ownership development rights.

Are you surprised now? Crappy scrooge-like remark on Christmas eve.. I expected better from you. Bad mouthing a more successful competitor doesn't help anyone.
Did not bad mouth anyone. Just stated what possibly occurred.

The Vision still has both. It's unclear to me which is preferred.

Pelagic Pressure System is just south of SF, so maybe I can get direct service? Heheh.

might be unused - but it's my understanding that the vision has been discontinued and no longer available from sherwood

might be unused - but it's my understanding that the vision has been discontinued and no longer available from sherwood

I'm fine with that. Scuba equipment seems to have very long lifespans and the Vision got ScubaLab's best only in 2016, fairly recent by scuba equipment standards.

Upon some more research, the Aeris A300AI, which has the same design, was released in 2012 and got ScubaLab's best in 2012. The design seems to have been in use for quite a long time! The Aeris A300AI actually has two algorithms, DSAT and PZ+, as well as a 3D compass, which makes it better than the Vision's single DSAT and 2D compass.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom