Shell vs. Neoprene Drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vetdiver,
I agree - one can argue the pro's and con's all day versus both designs - the bootom line is cost, what your going to do with it, seasons, etc.

My thinking is - if its cold enough to require a drysuit I'll be using it in water temps below 45 degrees - and 45 degs IS 45 degs.

I love the feel of neoprene vs. shells and bulky undergarments. I used to like like a stuntman trying to get that shell suit over that bukly undergarment, etc. What a pain!

That neoprene suit is a full $600 less than a decent Trilam model. I never felt my 6.5mm wetsuit was too 'bulky' vs. my Trilam w/200 weight Polar Fleece suit.

ScoobieDooo:
Al,
Thanks for the input. So I gather no under garments are necessary for insulation with neoprene suits?

I have the CD4 and dove yesterday with light fleece under it in 40F water and was toasty. Actually sweat a little bit. I use the undergarments more to keep from getting drysuit 'bites' than staying warm. I'm sure I'd be warm enough without them. I have a 100g Thinsulate (Bare's T-100) that I use when it's really cold outside to keep me warm during SI.

ScoobieDooo:
Al,
Thanks for the input. So I gather no under garments are necessary for insulation with neoprene suits?
In colder waters I'll wear undergarments. As mentioned my neopreme drysuit has very little drag compared to all bag suits.

Bottom line for me isn't cost, it's comfort.

I'm all for compressed neoprene myself. I was using a 7mm dry suit until 2 years ago, then I switched to a 4mm compressed suit. I think it's right to say that the warmth/flexibility/buoyancy trade off with undergarments or thicker suits is pretty much even, but in the summer I'm down to a pair of shorts in my 4mm and it's definitely more comfortable than the 7mm was, escpecially out of the water!

We get 4-18°C water temps here and I've never been too cold I didn't get back in for another dive given half a chance!

I guess you could say if it's that warm I could be in a 7mm wetsuit, but I can't resist being warm and dry. It also makes clearing up at the end of the day easier.

Antics:
I guess you could say if it's that warm I could be in a 7mm wetsuit, but I can't resist being warm and dry. It also makes clearing up at the end of the day easier.
It also makes getting right back in those cool waters easy doesn't it :)

I can't stand the moment when all that cold water rushes down the back of a wetsuit.
You can call me soft, but if the water temp gets to around 20°C, I'm straight into my dry suit!!! :D

I have to say in real cold water you'll have just as much if not more weight than a neoprene suit wearing a trilam and you'll be twice as restricted due to heavy layers of undergarments if you are a naturally cold person.

slowhands:
Bare makes 3 thicknesses of neoprene drysuits: compressed 2mm in the XCD2 models, 4mm in the CD4 models, and 6mm in the D6 models. The thicker neoprene models will be warmer without undergarments, but will tend to compress more with depth and require more weight. The thinner neoprene models have better flexibility, require more insulation, are less durable and of course compress less at depth and require less weight. I personally would opt for the compressed neoprene, mainly easy donning and for flexibility.

Check out the Bare website:
http://www.bare-wetsuits.com/bareshop/divedept.asp?dept_id=210

Here are some recent reviews of the Bare suits:
http://www.scubadiving.com/gear/exposure_protection/high-end_dry/6/
http://www.scubadiving.com/gear/exposure_protection/cut_&_dry:_13_dry_suits_for_under_$1,000/7/
I'm also shopping. I want to dive mainly on the Pacific coast. I'm a small woman and get cold at 78 degrees with my 3mm + skin. Since I now live in AZ and hope to be doing some San Diego/Catalina Island diving what would you recommend?

tracydr:
I'm also shopping. I want to dive mainly on the Pacific coast. I'm a small woman and get cold at 78 degrees with my 3mm + skin. Since I now live in AZ and hope to be doing some San Diego/Catalina Island diving what would you recommend?
My wife and I both can dive wetsuits at Catalina but we choose to dive our drysuits since we do at least 5 to 6 hours a day below th surface there. If we were diving twice a wetsuit would be fine.

Since you get cold easily then in my opinion crushed neopreme is the answser for you. It's expensive, but soooo nice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom