Shearwater Tern and Tern TX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If it comes with a screen protector and scratches are not going through the screen protector to damage the underlying screen, what difference does it make if it’s sapphire under there or not?
Hi @stuartv , a sapphire crystal doesn’t require a screen protector. It’s already multiple times more scratch resistant than any screen protector you put on it.

Do you attach an extra protective cover to your umbrella to stop the umbrella getting wet? You might as well have asked:

“If my umbrella comes with a protective cover, and rain is not going to get through to make the umbrella wet, what difference does it make if the umbrella is waterproof or not?”

There is no pairing with the transmitters that Shearwater, Oceanic, Aqualung, Hollis, etc. use.

The AI transmitter just transmits. It sends its serial number and the cylinder pressure.

Any receiver (i.e. dive computer) can listen for that transmission and display the data.

You can have 10 computers all listening for serial # 123456 and displaying its pressure, if you want to. Or 100.

No different than having 10K cars all listening to the same FM radio station.
@stuartv : You are probably technically correct, but the following was lifted directly from the Teric instruction manual:

"Pair the transmitter by going to the Tx Setup menu
option, and selecting T1. Turn on T1, then enter the
6-digit transmitter serial number into the T1 Serial #
setting. You only need to set this once, as it will be
permanently saved in the settings memory."

@stuartv : You are probably technically correct, but the following was lifted directly from the Teric instruction manual:

He is talking about how previous transmitters paired, in that it was often a two way process.

Hi @stuartv , a sapphire crystal doesn’t require a screen protector. It’s already multiple times more scratch resistant than any screen protector you put on it.

Do you attach an extra protective cover to your umbrella to stop the umbrella getting wet? You might as well have asked:

“If my umbrella comes with a protective cover, and rain is not going to get through to make the umbrella wet, what difference does it make if the umbrella is waterproof or not?”

I think the question I asked would be more akin to: If you are carrying a big umbrella, does it really matter whether you are wearing a raincoat or not?

But, I'll try again just for you.

What is the practical difference to the diver between having a dive computer with a sapphire crystal and having a non-sapphire crystal with a tempered glass or PET screen protector on it?

What cases (if any?) are people using to carry their Tern/TX around?

For reference I used to carry my (far less expensive and so I didnt care about it so much) Suunto D4i inside a soft pouch inside my reg bag inside a small duffel / backpack for carry-on. I'd like to do approx the same, but have my TernTX inside a small hard case rather than a soft pouch.

IMO the supplied hard case is an odd shape: it needs the easily damaged dissolvable cardboard liner to make sense, otherwise the computer will just rattle around inside. FWIW I've just ordered this and will report back on whether it works any better: WATCHPOD Single Watch Travel Case

I just use the stock case. I shove two Terics and Dive Rite ceramic cutter inside without padding.

For reference I used to carry my (far less expensive and so I didnt care about it so much) Suunto D4i inside a soft pouch inside my reg bag inside a small duffel / backpack for carry-on. I'd like to do approx the same, but have my TernTX inside a small hard case rather than a soft pouch.

IMO the supplied hard case is an odd shape: it needs the easily damaged dissolvable cardboard liner to make sense, otherwise the computer will just rattle around inside. FWIW I've just ordered this and will report back on whether it works any better: WATCHPOD Single Watch Travel Case
I use the Shearwater Transmitter case to carry my Garmin Descent Mk1 around. I think the Tern should fit. If you don't have one, you can order one for around $18.00.

I use the Shearwater Transmitter case to carry my Garmin Descent Mk1 around. I think the Tern should fit. If you don't have one, you can order one for around $18.00.
That's an intersting idea - I have a SwiftAI case here. Just tried and with the remora strap still attached it's a fraction too tight - thanks though!

I carry my dive computer in my mask box.

I use one of these neoprene pouches for each of my Terics. 7 bucks each.

The board software seems to be determined to change my link into something that doesn't work, so here is the URL, but you'll have to copy and paste it.

Code:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N4AVAH9

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom