Shearwater Tern and Tern TX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...I know people who bought their entire dive kit for their certification.
I bought my kit for my certification too. Everything except the tanks and weights, which I bought the next year. I looked at the cost of renting and it didn't make sense. Over 22 years later and I'm still diving, so we're not that rare. :)

...IMO the supplied hard case is an odd shape: it needs the easily damaged dissolvable cardboard liner to make sense, otherwise the computer will just rattle around inside. FWIW I've just ordered this and will report back on whether it works any better: WATCHPOD Single Watch Travel Case
Agreed. The supplied case is too large and the display cardboard inside is too easily damaged, so the computer will just rattle.

I keep my Tern TX in a tiny round cosmetic bag I received years ago. People think it's a change purse. Since it's plastic, I keep the zipper slightly open when the computer/straps are wet so they can dry. After 10 years carrying my XDeep Black in it, it's starting to tear though.

How is the watchpod, particularly the velvet lining? It can get splashed/dripped on or sometimes we're in a hurry to pack up and the computer/straps may not be fully dry.

Agreed. The supplied case is too large and the display cardboard inside is too easily damaged, so the computer will just rattle.

I keep my Tern TX in a tiny round cosmetic bag I received years ago. People think it's a change purse. Since it's plastic, I keep the zipper slightly open when the computer/straps are wet so they can dry. After 10 years carrying my XDeep Black in it, it's starting to tear though.

How is the watchpod, particularly the velvet lining? It can get splashed/dripped on or sometimes we're in a hurry to pack up and the computer/straps may not be fully dry.
It works well! Actually I bought both a "WatchPod" branded version and a no-name generic off Amazon to compare. The generic is better for me since the WatchPod is actually quite large - more than it needs to be. The Tern fits snugly with the cushions still in. I dry it off before storage, though all materials are synthetic so I guess little water won't hurt them

Bought a Tern TX and dove with it recently. After the Zoop Novo (which was admittedly much cheaper), the Tern is a great upgrade. Just need to get a bungee mount on it. I'm not using the AI yet, but that's now on the list.

I don't think I can go back to the Zoop N, so I will have to figure out whether I continue to use the Zoop as a backup (make it more agressive?), or I just dive the Tern by itself. I carry the Tern in a larger case with the Zoop, but perhaps an old watch travel case will work as a solo carry.

(Also, was a good thing I decided to use the Tern: the Zoop gave me the dreaded low-battery warning on the first dive with both, even though it was just fine right before and it still reports 3.0V...)

I don't think I can go back to the Zoop N, so I will have to figure out whether I continue to use the Zoop as a backup (make it more agressive?), or I just dive the Tern by itself.
Both are options. Lots of divers just use one computer, though a backup is never a bad thing.

You'll only be able to make the Zoop more aggressive if it currently has conservatism on. If conservatism is off or set to the lowest possible, that's all you can do. It will probably be fine on the first dive. Subsequent dives are where it will probably become more conservative than the Tern. And if you aren't doing exactly what it thinks you'll do, it may throw a tantrum and lock you out.

Both are options. Lots of divers just use one computer, though a backup is never a bad thing.

You'll only be able to make the Zoop more aggressive if it currently has conservatism on. If conservatism is off or set to the lowest possible, that's all you can do. It will probably be fine on the first dive. Subsequent dives are where it will probably become more conservative than the Tern. And if you aren't doing exactly what it thinks you'll do, it may throw a tantrum and lock you out.
Yea, it was set to 2 conservative if I recall right (unfortunately, the low battery keeps me from checking), but noted on the subsequent dives. I was reading other threads on this, seemsI will have to see what can be done on the Tern’s side of things, but have to study it more more and probably test it out in the water.

I know I am likely keeping the Zoop N… it’s 7y+, and last time it was tested (battery change), there were some bubbles from the front glass. It still went down to 25m+, but is likely for a limited lifespan. So it’s either use it, or store it…

I was reading other threads on this, seemsI will have to see what can be done on the Tern’s side of things, but have to study it more more and probably test it out in the water.
You'll find a lot more adjustability on the Tern. There are 3 presets for Low, Medium, and High conservatism. The default will be Medium, I believe. In addition to that, there is also a custom option, so if you understand the GF settings and what they mean, you can customize. But, there is a lot more adjustability available than with a lot of other dive computers.

I have a Perdix 2 and used my Oceanic Atom 3.1 as a backup until the day the Oceanic went into violation and my Perdix 2 showed I was diving within limits. I was following my Perdix 2 and didn't notice the Oceanic violation until I was on the boat. I sold my Oceanic and recently bought a Tern as my backup. You'll find that your Zoop and Tern will show different data, so you'll have to decide which to follow and if your Zoop goes into violation, then what do you do? The day my Oceanic went into violation, I decided to be a bubble watcher and skip the 3rd dive of the day.

...and if your Zoop goes into violation, then what do you do?
I'd probably just dive the Tern by itself at that point. I have no issue diving without my own backup, as I was doing with the Zoop N for previous dives, and I am not planning on doing any tec / more advanced dives at the current time (which is partially why the Tern instead of the Teric /Perdix).

I need to spend time reading what others have done and tweak the Tern, then trial it out on a few dives with both on my wrist when I can see how it looks; if they diverge significantly, I'll probably just keep the Zoop in the bag as a backup (and yes, be land-bound for a day if the Tern conks out.)

I'd probably just dive the Tern by itself at that point. I have no issue diving without my own backup, as I was doing with the Zoop N for previous dives, and I am not planning on doing any tec / more advanced dives at the current time (which is partially why the Tern instead of the Teric /Perdix).

I need to spend time reading what others have done and tweak the Tern, then trial it out on a few dives with both on my wrist when I can see how it looks; if they diverge significantly, I'll probably just keep the Zoop in the bag as a backup (and yes, be land-bound for a day if the Tern conks out.)
Good strategy. Depending on your conservatism in the Tern, they may differ significantly on subsequent dives. I set my Shearwater computers to low conservatism, and I have a buddy who sets his to medium, on dive 2 he's heading to the surface by himself because he's reaching his NDL. I checked my SurfGF and was around 65% and chose to continue my dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom