Shearwater Swift transmitter —> do I need a valve for a hose mount?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We had transmitters directly on the HP port for years, but recently added 6” hoses (which is when you need the spool). Stopped me from wincing every time I watched someone pick up the rig by the transmitter.

Getting the run around, so I have come to the experts!

I stopped at a LDS today to purchase a hose for my Swift transmitter and was told 1.) it needs a valve (Schrader?), 2.) it should have been in my transmitter box (it was not), and 3.) they don’t sell them.

So … what´s the truth? If I want to mount it on a hose, do I need a value, what type, and where can I buy one? I appreciate the help!
Wow -- reason number one why I loathe many dive shops nowadays -- it's just this sort of crap; but a short hose and a spool sale is not enough fraud for them, and the shop is probably not selling enough vacations to Raja Ampat to keep their damn doors open. Cannot imagine why so many tank.

Just have to nickel and dime you -- and what the hell does a LP Schrader valve have to do with anything?

Generally those short hoses were used to either prevent damage from someone grabbing at the transmitter, confusing it with a valve, especially while on boats (and I saw several sheared off years ago); alternatively, to get a better radio signal in some cases, since around 38 kHz ain't much; and I lost signals when I first tried transmitters just by extending my arm (and I am not that much of a knuckle-walker); that, or to also prevent some hose interferences on more compact first stages, though the Swift is slightly smaller than others.

As others have already mentioned -- just attach the gadget directly or use a 15 cm hose and spool. When I worked shops as a kid, we routinely gave them away with every HP hose purchase and had a fishbowl full of them by the cash register . . .

I am very curious. What valve were they trying to sell you on and how/why would it be used? It would not be a schraeder valve on the HP side of things.

I suppose you could put it on a QD fitting and keep a QD-ed SPG in your dive bag in case the transmitter failed...

I suppose you could put it on a QD fitting and keep a QD-ed SPG in your dive bag in case the transmitter failed...
She'd still need a spool.

Funny that the dive shop didn't sell spools, I would kind of expect them all to do that. Oh well, at least you know what you need now.

If you don't like the the transmitter sticking out of the top of the reg, you might not like the SPG hose pointing that way either. Some divers like to put the transmitter on a very short hose (6" to 9", something like that). You could add in that little hose, bend it down, and bungee the transmitter to your BC, or to one of your other hoses. It also will make the transmitter look less like a valve handle, so might be less prone to being damaged if somebody else moves your stuff around on a boat.
Yes, thanks. My thought was that I could wrap it around or bungee it to my LPI hose. It seemed quite simple to do, but the guy at the dive shop made it seem like a big deal. Knew I could get the right answer here.

Dive shop doesn't sell or have spools? I consider them disposable items. I add them to the DGX shopping list to hit the $100 free shipping. The little O-rings on them are hard enough to replace that I just toss the spool and put a new one in instead.
Totally agree. What dive shop these days rejects business? Seemed a bit weird, but he stuck to it.

QD is a cool idea! Thanks. I'll see what I can dig up for that.

QD is a cool idea! Thanks. I'll see what I can dig up for that.
Why bother? The transmitter just needs to be hand tight. If you have to swap it out for a hose/SPG(unlikely) all you need is a wrench to snug it down.

Why bother? The transmitter just needs to be hand tight. If you have to swap it out for a hose/SPG(unlikely) all you need is a wrench to snug it down.
True. And I do carry an adjustable wrench. Why make it extra complicated?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom