Shearwater Swift transmitter —> do I need a valve for a hose mount?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eab

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Getting the run around, so I have come to the experts!

I stopped at a LDS today to purchase a hose for my Swift transmitter and was told 1.) it needs a valve (Schrader?), 2.) it should have been in my transmitter box (it was not), and 3.) they don’t sell them.

So … what´s the truth? If I want to mount it on a hose, do I need a value, what type, and where can I buy one? I appreciate the help!

Thank you!

Eileen

I stopped at a LDS today to purchase a hose for my Swift transmitter and was told 1.) it needs a valve (Schrader?), 2.) it should have been in my transmitter box (it was not), and 3.) they don’t sell them.

So … what´s the truth? If I want to mount it on a hose, do I need a value, what type, and where can I buy one? I appreciate the help!

Thank you!

Eileen
You will need an airspool if you choose to use a hose. Your LDS may not sell it, but probably has some just laying around in the back somewhere. Either way, they are like $1.50 on line. Get a few, so when your SPG connection starts leaking you will not need to worry about replacing an o ring :) or for your second hose/transmitter :)

Thank you!

Eileen
Any chance that LDS sells Suuntos? Because their transmitter does in fact come with a spool in the box.
What you wants looks like this:
1681601185319.png

There is a very small hole through the middle of the spool for just enough gas flow to give you a pressure reading.

What bullsh!t, you would only need an air spool DGX Air Spool w/ Viton O-Rings for SPG Swivel

Why do you think you need to connect your transmitter with a hose rather than directly?
$1.50. That’s hilarious! Thanks for the link.

I may need to swap my hoses, but right now it’s in my 2nd hp port and it stick out from to top. Just seems odd, and I was looking for options. I’ll swap the console hose with it and see if that’s better.

I take it you’re suggestion is to leave it as it is and don’t bother with the hose?

Thank you!

You will need an airspool if you choose to use a hose. Your LDS may not sell it, but probably has some just laying around in the back somewhere. Either way, they are like $1.50 on line. Get a few, so when your SPG connection starts leaking you will not need to worry about replacing an o ring :) or for your second hose/transmitter :)
Great advice, thanks! Still on the fence about the hose. Going to move my console hose first, but it’s great to have the option. Appreciate the input!

Any chance that LDS sells Suuntos? Because their transmitter does in fact come with a spool in the box.
What you wants looks like this:
View attachment 779511

There is a very small hole through the middle of the spool for just enough gas flow to give you a pressure reading.
The tech pulled out another brand’s — Garmin maybe? — to show me what it looked like and had a spare in a little toolbox thing that looked like a save-a-dive kit on steroids, but told me he couldn’t sell or give it to me. Such foolishness! It wasn’t my regular LDS. I was in the Florida Keys.

I’ll try a different config and maybe order the one scubadada shared. For now, it works and I’m cool with that. Just wanted to clarify in case it became an issue for some reason. Thank you!

Funny that the dive shop didn't sell spools, I would kind of expect them all to do that. Oh well, at least you know what you need now.

If you don't like the the transmitter sticking out of the top of the reg, you might not like the SPG hose pointing that way either. Some divers like to put the transmitter on a very short hose (6" to 9", something like that). You could add in that little hose, bend it down, and bungee the transmitter to your BC, or to one of your other hoses. It also will make the transmitter look less like a valve handle, so might be less prone to being damaged if somebody else moves your stuff around on a boat.

Dive shop doesn't sell or have spools? I consider them disposable items. I add them to the DGX shopping list to hit the $100 free shipping. The little O-rings on them are hard enough to replace that I just toss the spool and put a new one in instead.

Back
Top Bottom