Shearwater Perdix AI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crap...I just bought a perdix and have 3 dives on it. Would have gone for the AI had I known.

I think we'll hear this frequently. As someone said, the Perdix AI development sure was kept quiet. Even SB equipment gurus were in the dark until today

Regarding timing, I wonder if Perdix owners feel they got cheated by SW, for not announcing AI possibility (probably to increase sales volume) at time of release of "regular" Perdix?
I don't believe SW didn't have any plans for AI at that time.

I looked at the SW Facebook page and there are already complaints piling up, just like thundercleese's, above. People being pissed that they just bought a Perdix and SW hadn't let anyone know this was coming. And people optimistically hoping for SW to have some kind of trade-in program.

I wonder if there will be as many posts slamming people with comments like "you bought it without AI, why should SW do anything for you now?" There sure were plenty of posts like that addressed to SeaBear H3 owners who were unhappy that AI was never released for that. And that was after AI was actually announced for the SeaBear.

Oh, and I agree that SW probably had some idea that AI was a real possibility at the time that they released the Perdix. But, we might all be surprised at how quickly they were able to add it. I think it's FEASIBLE that they didn't decide to move forward with AI until after the Perdix was released. They didn't have to design a transmitter, since they are using the AUP one. And AUP probably gave them all the engineering info they needed to add the required bits on the Perdix side. I think they could have easily gone from Zero to Release in the time since the Perdix was released. As much as some people seem to not realize it, I think hoseless AI has become reasonably mature as a dive computer technology.

Last edited:
At least here on SB, seems most Petrel/Perdix owners did not want AI. I often found myself in a small minority. Personally, I think the Perdix AI will quickly catch on and capture a large portion of the dive computer, especially, AI dive computer market

I agree. But, regarding the bolded part, that should not be too surprising. The people who wanted AI would mostly buy something else, right? Of course SW owners are going to be mostly people who did not want AI. I thought SW was really being foolish to not come out with AI based on their current customer base not wanting it (in large numbers). But, this week reveals that they are (in my opinion, of course) as on the ball as ever. Great timing and a great decision (to use AUP transmitters).

Now, with OC Rec mode, fully trimix capability, Buhlmann+GF, CCR mode, AI, the relatively low price, and the Shearwater reputation, the only reason someone would have for going with something else is if they really want a wristwatch-sized computer.

It looks to me like the dive computer market just became a two horse race: Perdix AI and Deep 6 (assuming they actually release theirs soon - and the actual implementation doesn't turn out to be crap). It could be a 3 horse race if SP releases the H3 and it has AI and SP doesn't eff it up with some stupid proprietary algorithm. Well, and they don't give it some ridiculous price. I'm a huge H3 fan and even I wouldn't pay a whole lot extra for it over a Perdix.

Everything else on the market will just become a bit player, scrapping for the crumbs. Yes, there will still be people who want a Petrel 2 or a non-AI Perdix or a Cobalt or an Eon Steel or whatever. I'm just saying the market share for all those others is going to become a lot smaller than it has been. The Deep 6 computers, at $139, is too inexpensive. If you're going to buy anything more expensive, there won't be very many reasons to buy anything but a Perdix.

i think the geo 2 has a niche still as a watch size computer in the 300 range. people are willing to pay extra for the form factor over a puck computer.

I don't think you guys know how bidding works...
I think they do. It's vintage now, so it's has lost all it's value. Give it to us vintage guys because you have no use for it anymore :yeahbaby:

As much as some people seem to not realize it, I think hoseless AI has become reasonably mature as a dive computer technology.
Probably it's reliable, but I still have no use for it. That's the reason why I won't buy any AI computer, SW or not. But I'am glad for all those people who want AI that SW offers it now. Did not see it coming I must admit.

i think the geo 2 has a niche still as a watch size computer in the 300 range. people are willing to pay extra for the form factor over a puck computer.

I think the Deep 6 computer, which has been much-talked about and is alleged to be out soon, is a watch size and they have announced it will sell for $139. And they posted here on SB that it will give the user the option to use the Buhlmann algorithm with Gradient Factors (thought I believe it will only have preset choices for the GF values - no option to choose custom values). If/when they do release it, and if/when it has some positive reviews, I think it will become very hard to justify the extra money for a Geo.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom