Shearwater NERD lens cover question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hm re Vortex Optics - is it size 24 or 26? As there seems to be two quoted.
I have drilled the original cap on the side, then put a thin bungee through but this would be a neater solution :)

You want the O-24 one.

I bought the Vortex and the Monstrum one at the same time. I felt like the Vortex one is better made and specifically says it uses a stainless spring, so I installed that one and ended up giving the Monstrum one away to a Meg diver... LOL

My first Vortex was recently almost 2 years old and I noticed the rubber boot was starting to get a split in it. The hinge spring was still totally fine, as far as I could tell. The Vortex one is really made for a scope that is just slightly smaller than the NERD. But, the boot is rubber and it does work very well on the NERD.

I ordered another one and have that on now. $20 every couple of years to protect my NERD is okay with me. I had not removed the original until I got the replacement. I probably should have taken it off occasionally to rinse under it, but I never did. My NERD still looks like new underneath where the cover was.

@jvogt The #1 most common repair that Dive-tronix does on NERDs is screen replacement after it gets left pointing at the sun and the lens focuses the sunlight on the screen inside. I have left my loop flipped up and over when my unit was on a boat and more than once had it get jostled (by a person? boat rocking?) so it ended up flipped back to the front where the NERD is "looking up". The cover is cheap insurance, to me. And, as noted, when the hinge is oriented properly, the cover does not noticeably impair my view.

Honestly, @Shearwater should get something like this made for the NERD and include that instead of the little cap that (almost) everybody loses.

I was about to ask this same question as I have a nerd2 on order that should arrive shortly.

You want the O-24 one.

I bought the Vortex and the Monstrum one at the same time. I felt like the Vortex one is better made and specifically says it uses a stainless spring, so I installed that one and ended up giving the Monstrum one away to a Meg diver... LOL

My first Vortex was recently almost 2 years old and I noticed the rubber boot was starting to get a split in it. The hinge spring was still totally fine, as far as I could tell. The Vortex one is really made for a scope that is just slightly smaller than the NERD. But, the boot is rubber and it does work very well on the NERD.

I ordered another one and have that on now. $20 every couple of years to protect my NERD is okay with me. I had not removed the original until I got the replacement. I probably should have taken it off occasionally to rinse under it, but I never did. My NERD still looks like new underneath where the cover was.

@jvogt The #1 most common repair that Dive-tronix does on NERDs is screen replacement after it gets left pointing at the sun and the lens focuses the sunlight on the screen inside. I have left my loop flipped up and over when my unit was on a boat and more than once had it get jostled (by a person? boat rocking?) so it ended up flipped back to the front where the NERD is "looking up". The cover is cheap insurance, to me. And, as noted, when the hinge is oriented properly, the cover does not noticeably impair my view.

Honestly, @Shearwater should get something like this made for the NERD and include that instead of the little cap that (almost) everybody loses.
Just buy more. I have 5. Way cheaper than the alternatives. Bring 5, lose one, replace one. The last thing I want on my Nerd is more crap mounted on it during a dive.

Just buy more. I have 5. Way cheaper than the alternatives. Bring 5, lose one, replace one. The last thing I want on my Nerd is more crap mounted on it during a dive.
No, don't buy more crap. It only encourages them. As a matter of fact, send your stock lens cover back to @Shearwater so that they can deal with it. Getting a cover for NERD right should not require a lot of effort.

No, don't buy more crap. It only encourages them. As a matter of fact, send your stock lens cover back to @Shearwater so that they can deal with it. Getting a cover for NERD right should not require a lot of effort.
Shearwater got it right. It's the users who need to get their shrit together and not look for a cluster solution.

Shearwater got it right. It's the users who need to get their shrit together and not look for a cluster solution.
Agreed, I don't want to have more crap under water to make the surface easier.

I don't take my valve dust covers with me on the dive either.

It is about the NERD diving community, not a diver. How many people lost their original caps?

Back
Top Bottom