Shearwater NERD 2 "for OC Divers"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kelemvor

Big Fleshy Monster
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I saw this on facebook a few minutes ago. It appears sherwater has made a NERD computer for OC divers! They must be following my posts and just making everything I ask for...

NERD 2 - Shearwater Research
https://www.shearwater.com/products/nerd-2/
The world’s first near eye remote display for scuba divers has been redesigned for enhanced flexibility and reliability. In addition to the DiveCAN and Fischer versions, OC divers can now experience the freedom the NERD 2 has to offer. The universal regulator mount allows divers to secure the NERD 2 to their mouthpiece and dive with the security of knowing their crucial dive information with a glance of the eye.

From the combination of the Micro LCD display and the magnifying lens, the data on the NERD 2 appears as if you were looking at a 25 inch TV 12 feet away

huge that it no longer includes the big brick that accompanied the first one. I know Brian Kakuk has been using a nerd for quite a while and helmet mounting it. Part of the problem with using it on OC is that you can't see it if you swap regulators.
big advantage being if you are starting to play trombone with your computer, you don't need cheaters to read out
huge downside is it's $2k...

huge that it no longer includes the big brick that accompanied the first one. I know Brian Kakuk has been using a nerd for quite a while and helmet mounting it. Part of the problem with using it on OC is that you can't see it if you swap regulators.
big advantage being if you are starting to play trombone with your computer, you don't need cheaters to read out
huge downside is it's $2k...

I almost dismissed that regulator comment until I thought it through. I'm sure a large portion of their intended market will be tech diving and therefore doing that very thing. Maybe it's super easy to move from reg to reg or something?

$2k is a lot for a computer, but consider this. You've still got to buy a transmitter or two :wink:

I just switched to a FFM, and am considering if I can get this onto the mask. I guess I'll have to give it a little time and then bring my mask down to a shop who has one in stock. I'm all about less stuff for recreational, and I think the elimination of an extra piece might be nice. Hard to say, it might feel bulky with this thing attached to my face.

Looks like a gear solution for a skills problem... :rofl3:

I wonder if I can find a way to attach this thing onto a set of split fins.

e-mail today from SW...

The NERD 2
Shearwater Research Inc. is pleased to announce the latest in dive computer innovation, the NERD 2.

The world’s first near eye remote display for scuba divers has been redesigned for enhanced flexibility and reliability. In addition to the DiveCAN and Fischer versions, OC divers can now experience the freedom the NERD 2 has to offer. The universal regulator mount allows divers to secure the NERD 2 to their mouthpiece and dive with the security of knowing their crucial dive information with a glance of the eye.
From the combination of the Micro LCD display and the magnifying lens, the data on the NERD 2 appears as if you were looking at a 25” TV 12 feet away. The display is unobtrusive as it virtually disappears when you look straight ahead. Like all Shearwater computers, the NERD 2 has a two-button interface, with an intuitive menu structure, and customizable display. State of the art integrated rechargeable lithium-ion battery eliminates the need for the battery box making the NERD 2 Shearwater’s most compact design yet.

The NERD 2 ships standard with the recharging clip, USB cable, and charging bank. Users can expect a minimum of 18 dive hours, on medium brightness, from a fully charged NERD 2 and 5 charges from the charge bank. The NERD 2 comes standard with wireless air integration for use with the Shearwater PPS transmitter and has the ability to monitor 2 tanks and provide gas time remaining (GTR) information for one tank. The NERD 2 is also compatible with Shearwater Cloud and Shearwater Desktop.

Full technical specifications for the NERD 2 are available on Shearwater’s official website. The NERD 2 is available for to order starting August 22nd through the Shearwater dealer network which is accessible here.

Shearwater Research Inc. is excited to keep pushing the boundaries of the dive computer industry and hopes that the NERD 2 will help divers keep their eyes on their dive, not their dive computer.
d20af817-9e17-462e-aac4-900c767a1b37.png

@kelemvor it would be perfect on a FFM and there are a lot of guys who used the original nerd on it as well as SeaBear's HUD which actually had wired AI built into it specifically for FFM use.

I bet this was still focused largely on the recreational market for the standalone version. I imagine there was quite a bit of demand to remove the big honking box from the Nerd1 for the rebreather market since it was something quite big that you had to strap onto the loop somewhere if you wanted to use it. With this being basically the same size as the display on the original but without the box, it will be a lot more streamlined for the CCR market.

Doesn't really cost them anything to add the standalone product so may as well have it as an option, and getting WAI on there was probably pretty significant for the CCR guys. The petrels can't handle it and the Perdix doesn't have an external connection option. The X-ccr is the only one with pressure integration which does show up on the Petrel but it's only that breather. With this the backmounted guys can get rid of a pair of pressure gauges and a blinky HUD if they want to. If I was diving a bmccr I'd be very tempted by this guy with a pair of transmitters, especially if it was the controller

For OC they should partner with UTD and use the Z manifold. It will be a hit with people who have more money than sense. For CC I can see the benefit.

Back
Top Bottom