Shearwater live streaming update July 23

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not a huge fan of QI charging because on my phone (different but similar I know) it has to be put in exactly the right place otherwise no charge. For a PDC, you certainly want to confirm its charging and not wake up the next day having found yoru assumption was wrong and no charge for that dive day (hence me always charging with plenty of reserve)

There is a little icon on the screen when it is charging.

5 years on, my battery has degraded, when new (with my settings) it showed 32 hour dive time when fully charged, now its reduced to 28.

I think this indirectly points out another nice thing about the rechargeable setup. You get PLENTY of warning before the battery needs to be replaced. It gradually loses capacity over years. You can decide when to take time out to send it off for a new battery, and your window of opportunity for that is probably 1 - 2 years. I.e. It used to have a 32 hour capacity. After a few years, it's down to, say, a 24 hour capacity. You could send it then, or you could decide to give it another year and maybe send it when it's down to a 20 hour capacity. Or maybe even keep diving it for another year and send it when it's down to a 16 hour capacity.

And, with Shearwater, my experience has been that I send it off and have it back in a week. And that is using normal Priority Mail. They actually get it done in 1 day (or less) from receiving it.

With turnaround like that, and such a wide window for choosing when to have it done, I really have no reservations at all about a Shearwater computer with a built-in battery.

Even a Predator/Petrel/Perdix has a 5-year recommended service interval. So, if you're going to follow the directions, it's the same either way. Just a question of whether you buy batteries in the meantime.

I think this indirectly points out another nice thing about the rechargeable setup. You get PLENTY of warning before the battery needs to be replaced. It gradually loses capacity over years. You can decide when to take time out to send it off for a new battery, and your window of opportunity for that is probably 1 - 2 years. I.e. It used to have a 32 hour capacity. After a few years, it's down to, say, a 24 hour capacity. You could send it then, or you could decide to give it another year and maybe send it when it's down to a 20 hour capacity. Or maybe even keep diving it for another year and send it when it's down to a 16 hour capacity.

And, with Shearwater, my experience has been that I send it off and have it back in a week. And that is using normal Priority Mail. They actually get it done in 1 day (or less) from receiving it.

With turnaround like that, and such a wide window for choosing when to have it done, I really have no reservations at all about a Shearwater computer with a built-in battery.

Good to know.

Even a Predator/Petrel/Perdix has a 5-year recommended service interval. So, if you're going to follow the directions, it's the same either way. Just a question of whether you buy batteries in the meantime.

I don't know a single person who sends in their computer for preventative maintenance/service check. I've own 6 computers in 15 years and I certainly never have. The majority I'm sure only service their computers if there is an issue. Therefore needing to send the computer in every 5 years for a battery replacement IS a new process for most. I am glad to hear that it is quick and painless (minus the cost) with Shearwater.

I don't know a single person who sends in their computer for preventative maintenance/service check. I've own 6 computers in 15 years and I certainly never have. The majority I'm sure only service their computers if there is an issue. Therefore needing to send the computer in every 5 years for a battery replacement IS a new process for most. I am glad to hear that it is quick and painless (minus the cost) with Shearwater.

I have. $125 to have all new O-rings and (especially) a brand new face plate, and new battery holder (eliminating possibility of wires that have gotten corroded) was worth it, to me, on my Predator EXT. Especially after flooding my other Predator.

But, if you don't want to send it in for maintenance, I can certainly understand that. By the same token, it's not like a Teric battery (or Peregrine) is going to just expire after 5 years, either. So, nothing forcing you to send it in at that point. I know a LOT of people that are still using cell phones every day that have gotten to the point of only having 50% of their original battery capacity. They just charge it more often and go about their business.

Are these similar to batteries like in cell phones? Give you warnings? Well, my 2.5 year old cell phone just had the battery swell, popping the case. What warning did i get that the end is near? I am not a fan of built in rechargeable batteries when other options are possible...

The only thing I don't like is the lack of AI and sealed battery but since I'd be getting one as a backup computer I may just pull the trigger. Even though my Perdix AI has been bullet proof I don't like not having a backup computer. I love the large, bright screen for my aging eyes!

The rechargeable sealed battery is probably the future state going forward so I guess I need to just get comfortable with the idea. I bet that going forward all Shearwaters will use a sealed rechargeable battery.

First I plan to download the manual to see exactly what display configuration settings are available. I'd like to make sure some screen configuration options like SurfGF are available.

Back
Top Bottom