Shearwater Cloud Updates Fail

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cert1967

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
SW updates

ShearwaterCloudInstaller_2.9.0.dmg
ShearwaterCloudInstaller_2.9.1.dmg

Database fails to update, hangs on 22/1136

How can a company that produces outstanding computers and provides top-notch service, fail at simple database software?

Their staff must be embarassed?

So many issues with SW-Cloud - too easy to tear apart

Attachments

• Image 6-10-22 at 6.39 PM.jpg
    Image 6-10-22 at 6.39 PM.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 54
Why are you complaining here in stead of reporting this to Shearwater?
Their support is very good as you also mention. For me they went into the database and fixed the wrong post of the database, and did it quite quick..

I also had an issue so I called them. They instructed me over the phone what to do....GREAT customer service

You come here first before reporting it to Shearwater? WTF? I had the same issue. Called them up and they fixed immediately. I don’t understand some people. The need to whine and blame others is incredible.

Oh Boy - the SW fanboy club upset! How dare anyone call out SW - heresy you say.

I have contacted SW - Jason, Jim, Ivan, Simon - with no resolution to multiple issues.

The SW Cloud product is a poor product. It’s shortcomings are documented on this board. In contrast to the hardware, the problems with SW Cloud continue from update to update.

You don’t like what I have to say @tridacna? Move your mouse on by, your vulgar slur is uncalled for. Use your big boy words, please.

And I have skin in the game - 8 current SW units in the family that I have paid for - others bought and sold off.

Me? The SW cloud product is inclusive in the purchase of a SW computer and I think it should work properly. The connection should be seamless, the database robust, persistent without internet connection, and updates should work. Maybe the fanboy crowd thinks differently?

@Shearwater Cloud posted in the lengthy SB thread below. While the thread went dormant in Oct 2020, SW Cloud issues did not.

Shearwater Cloud was last on this board August 25, 2020, having joined SB on November 20, 2016. Perhaps they had enough of SB as a forum for support?

Selected quotes from the dormant Oct 2020 thread

Sorry, but Shearwater should not be in the log s/w business, stick to hardware and firmware or they should start from ground zero and completely redesign the log apps. While I only know the MacOS and iOS versions, IMHO they are the worse things I’ve seen in ages. I’ll stick with MacDive for feature, usability, developer responsiveness, and overall design.

I don't think everyone feels Shearwater Cloud is terrible. It works fine for me and captures all the info I need. I will be interested to see how people answer the first two questions under the "shopping list" in the original post.

I wish we had the option to backup to iCloud (for IOS version) or Dropbox, like with MacDive.

Hello Jay, we have been actively at work and we are currently at version 2.5.8. We have been slowly addressing bugs and issues (and a few more have cropped up). I cannot promise when a major revision will be out, but we feel that the updates from 2.5.6 to 2.5.8 have made some good improvements, and we are always working to improve the app. <<>>

I keep the SW Cloud app on my phone for one reason only - to update firmware. That’s it.
Same here - other than that one critical use (that works perfectly well), there are WAY better apps out there for logging dives. I use the Dive Log (iOS) and Diving Log 6.0 (PC) combo and they are great.

BTW - just opened it and it tried to update the database and hangs on dive 20. Great - so now the app is unusable to do anything with (including FW updates) and I have to waste time to sort it out with SW? I love my SW computers - great hardware/FW and customer service, but the Cloud app pretty much sucks vs competitive offerings in my opinion.

Cloud works perfectly for me, but I don’t look at logs except right after down loading, it updates without issue and found out on my last trip that it will even reset the time automatically when downloading.

what do you all or Ya’ll do with your logs that it fails to do? I’m curious since I pretty much don’t care much about dives I’ve successfully done and care more about the one I’m about to do.

Cloud works perfectly for me, but I don’t look at logs except right after down loading, it updates without issue and found out on my last trip that it will even reset the time automatically when downloading.

what do you all or Ya’ll do with your logs that it fails to do? I’m curious since I pretty much don’t care much about dives I’ve successfully done and care more about the one I’m about to do.
Good for you (but not at all helpful here) - It’s great that you have no issues and you don’t go back and look at logs - many do. In my opinion, SW Cloud does not present dive data in an intuitive, useful way (graph is cluttered, for example) vs other log apps.

The issue that I believe this thread is about is a failure on a database update when you open the app that effectively bricks it - mine hangs at dive 20 as per the images below.

DD0C55AC-9142-4E7E-A337-12C6C392654E.png

BF216EC4-9A99-4529-90A9-DEEC3B18A171.png

There appears to be no way to get past the app hanging issue until you can speak to someone at SW to fix for you. I’ve been using Dive Log for years and have never had an issue like this - ever.

I only loaded a few dives on SW Cloud to see how I liked it. As I did not, I don’t use it for dive logging and only for FW updates (which it works quite well for). Once I waste some of my time on the phone with SW to fix the lockout, I’ll be sure to delete any logs from SW Cloud to, hopefully, avoid a repeat in the future.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom