sharks eat surfer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can I just say how much I love the surfer's family for asking that the shark(s?) not be killed? They understand. If you surf in places like Western Australia, California, you know it's a distinct possibility. And I'm loving the scbuaboard folk for recognizing that the sharks aren't "Jaws"

I've read that some trips out to the Guadalupe Islands off Baja see sharks working and hunting together and I think the official word in the science world is we don't know enough yet.

PRL: The attacks you've mentioned in Jersy were probably the 1916 attacks both on the Jersy shore and up-river. There's been documentary's done on it and though a GW was originally blamed many people think it was probably a bull shark due to the attacks up-rvier and the bull shark's ability to survive in fresher waters.
Here's a link to a book about it. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...f=sr_1_2/002-1531469-8584831?v=glance&s=books
It's called Twelve Days of Terror but I think it was written before the bull shark theory.

I'm with you guys on the Oceanic White Tip, I've heard that shark also "blamed" for the deaths when the USS Indianapolis sank.

Scientist Mike Heithaus has done research on Tiger sharks in Australia's Shark Bay and his conclusion is that yes, killing off these animals can negatively effect the ecosystem. His research led him to the conclusion that they're a keystone species and without them the ecosystem becomes imbalanced.

All we can do is continue to try and educate more people about it and hope this kind of thing doesn't happen too often.

Happy diving

Well, back to education and accident analysis. Related to scuba diving it is my understanding that sharks dont attack at random and will give warning signs before defending them selves. The warning sign I can think of in some sharks is arching their back and dropping their fins (almolst like a cat). Any other signs anyone can think of how sharks tell us to back off?

This is the reason I dislike (respect) Sharks. It's their nature to attack! They are predators and that's what they do. The minute your in their territory you become prey!

scbababe:
The minute your in their territory you become prey!
We become prey if we act like prey.

scbababe:
This is the reason I dislike (respect) Sharks. It's their nature to attack! They are predators and that's what they do. The minute your in their territory you become prey!

It is not in their nature to attack! Like many wild animals they do hunt for food. I have been in the water numerous times with sharks and have yet felt threatened.

Sharks are to often portrayed as mindless eating machines on TV or in movies. The easiest way to get them in front of the camera is to bait them, which puts them in feeding mode, and this is what is seen by the vast majority.

I have a healthy respect for what sharks are capable of, just as I do for what humans are capable of!

R_Deluca knows more about sharks then anyone I know. If im going to be in the water with sharks he is the only guy I would go with.

I've dived with sharks of many species in areas including Thailand, Australia, Fiji, Tahiti, the Sea of Cortez, Belize and Honduras... not to mention Catalina (where great white sharks are routinely seen cruising within a mile of the dive park). To date I've never had a negative experience with one despite having nearly a hundred swirling around me at one time. I know divers here who have tried to film one of the resident whites and it spooks every time he gets close.

Based on my experiences over 42-3 years of diving, I only get nervous when I'm with certain species. Tigers for example (since I had a 22 ft tiger attempt to overturn my kayak three miles off the coast in the Sea of Cortez) and bulls (which I have not yet had any direct experience of).

Dr. Bill

drbill:
I've dived with sharks of many species in areas including Thailand, Australia, Fiji, Tahiti, the Sea of Cortez, Belize and Honduras... not to mention Catalina (where great white sharks are routinely seen cruising within a mile of the dive park). To date I've never had a negative experience with one despite having nearly a hundred swirling around me at one time. I know divers here who have tried to film one of the resident whites and it spooks every time he gets close.

Based on my experiences over 42-3 years of diving, I only get nervous when I'm with certain species. Tigers for example (since I had a 22 ft tiger attempt to overturn my kayak three miles off the coast in the Sea of Cortez) and bulls (which I have not yet had any direct experience of).

Dr. Bill

I know Hammerheads spook easy but it's hard to imagine being able to spook a GW. Had an unpleasent experience with tigers once in Yap when a group of us entered the water and dropped in practically on top of 3 of them "right" after they killed a manta and were in a feeding frenzy. One of the divers we call "Jesus" now because he practically walked on water getting back in the boat.:)) No bad experiencec with Bulls. Of the few encounters I've had they seemed oblivious to our presence, but I still kept a close eye on them.

divenut2001:
I know Hammerheads spook easy but it's hard to imagine being able to spook a GW.

Doesn't surprise me at all, actually. Al Giddings once said that predators only barely have the advantage in many cases, the Great White being one of them. Many urchin divers I've talked to in Cally tell me that they are always keeping an eye out for whites because they believe that when the sharks lose the element of surprise, they're less likely to come in close.

But given the great white's comparable size to a 70's-era Buick, I can see your point...

Damn! That is a tough break. My condolences.

Remember, though, if this year holds true to form, about ten times as many people will be killed by falling coconuts this year than by shark attack.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom