sharks eat surfer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The victim's family has asked that the shark(s) NOT be destroyed if located, but apparently these calls have gone unheeded. The state government is sending out fisheries boats to try and locate and kill the animals involved. There's a fair bit of public outcry down here about the blatant "revenge" mentality of the authorities.

And just how do they know they get the right animal?

Lets just kill all sharks and then we can all surf/swim without worry, yeah thats the solution.

So the White shark is protected until it kills someone, what about the millions of sharks we kill every year? Doesn't that mean they have fair call for "revenge"

scubaculture:
And just how do they know they get the right animal?

Lets just kill all sharks and then we can all surf/swim without worry, yeah thats the solution.

So the White shark is protected until it kills someone, what about the millions of sharks we kill every year? Doesn't that mean they have fair call for "revenge"
In a word, no.
"Broccoli eats man after centuries of abuse by mankind to his fellow plants! Film at eleven."
Rick

On shark week last season they did a special on shark attacks. A guy from Australia or New Zealand I believe, (I'm sorry I can't remember all the specifics) survived an attack by what they believed to be "2" Great Whites. After his recovery they took him back to where he had been attacked to conduct some tests. From the safety of a cage he watched and sure enough they showed how these creatures actually do hunt in pacs.

I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one around here that thinks if you look like food, you can't get pissed off when something tries to eat you.

Terry

Rick Murchison:
In a word, no.
"Broccoli eats man after centuries of abuse by mankind to his fellow plants! Film at eleven."
Rick

I have seen documentaries showing two female sharks travelling and hunting together, probably sisters?

This article does give me the creeps. I arrived in Perth exactly one year after the death at Cottesloe. During my travels up the West Coast, I read a book about sharks written in the 90s by a West Australian journalist, and there was a chapter about how hard these attacks are to predict, something to the effect of "There hasn't been an attack at Perth for over 40 years, but we never know".

Is there any proven logic in the attitude that once they've tasted human blood, they'll be back for more etc.?

No, there is no prof that the sharks will want to hunt humans, as a metter of fack I dont think humans taste to good to sharks thats why there are "left overs" from human attacks. Like I said, the only case I know of where sharks were hunting humans is in NJ many years ago, it was a very hot season.
The reason Australia wants to destroy the sharks has to do with economics. As long as tourists think there are man killers in the water, business is down. The best way to reasure tourists (income) is to kill a few sharks.

Well, I would like to add that near shore dwelling sharks dont like humans. In the open ocean food is scarse and open ocean sharks (black tip for one) are not to picky and will be more than happy to circle a sinking ship.

I'm amazed that no-one has developed some kind of electro shark repellant device that could be mounted in a surfboard. How often does these GW mistake a surfer for a seal? With their hunting tactics, people are bound to get hurt. Have you guys ever seen the South African GW's. By the time they decide to attack, just the impact will kill you.

Back
Top Bottom