Shark photography

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sintax604

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
This is probably a dumb question but I have to ask...
I'm heading to Maui next week and I'm looking forward to seeing my first sharks in the wild (aside from the local dogfish and ratfish here in the PNW). It sounds like I'm likely to see whitetips and grey reef sharks and I'm curious to know what I can get away with for photography of these beasties. I know these aren't typically aggressive sharks but can I get up real close and snap some nice facial shots while they are resting or should I keep my distance? Anything else I need to know about local sharks?

Thanks!

Yes, you can often get fairly close to the white tips that are resting to take phtographs. Much will depend on where you're diving, if anyone in your group is moving too fast and spooks them, etc. Unfortunately it is often other divers' over-eagerness to see the shark that spoils your chances.

Anything else I need to know about local sharks?
The bigger ones with the stripes off Olawalu - those are Tigers...:shocked2:

I would expect the gray reefs to keep their distance. As for the whitetips, you can often get fairly close to them but because they are small sharks that often live in tight spaces, I would use a tighter lens (60 mm-ish) to get the face shot you are looking for.

Just drift up to the resting white tip sharks. I have got some nice closeups (well, 4 or 5 feet) but trying to get closer than that... get you shot from 5 feet before you try to get much closer. I have some great shots of gray reef sharks very close up but most of those were at a shark feed. I have dozens of shots in the Bahamas and Palau of sharks but nearly all are from 10 feet or more, but hey, you have a zoom right? :)

Gray Reef Sharks are tough. You should not try to get close; they are territorial and are known to attack when divers invade their space. You can, however, let them get close to you. They generally don't, however. I have actually witnessed an attack on a professional videographer I dived with off the Palau Aggressor (the shark struck his large camera and swam away, all at startling speed). Watch for the classic threat display, often described as "agonistic swimming." Pectoral fins pointed down, back arched, and exaggerated swimming motions are signs for you to give them a lot more room—immediately.

Whitetip Reef Sharks are a different story. As with Zebra Sharks, they can be approached quite closely when they are sitting on the bottom, with the right technique. Basically, slowly and head-on. Do not approach from behind and do not approach from above, they'll just swim away. It you get down to ground level with them you can slowly inch towards them. I have gotten to within a couple of feet. Do not corner them! Only approach them if they have a clear exit. I would not crowd them in a crevice.

e2ygyre8.jpg

Or you can photograph this guy spotted by my buddy Dave Molokini a few months ago.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

vynaqynu.jpg

17 to 18 ' but who had a measuring tape. LOL.

No matter how fuzzy they are, I've been jealous of those white shark shots since I first saw them. So awesome.

Yeah they crew Ed's boat and got video and some great shots.

Back
Top Bottom