Shark Men uncover great white nursery - Malibu, CA!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Speaking of human stupidity and sharks, 11 years ago I did a front page story in one of our local papers on soupfin sharks I filmed in Lover's Cove (Avalon on Catalina Island). I mentioned how great it was that these sharks were apparently recovering from intense harvest of them during WWII for the vitamin D in their livers. I also said they were harmless (only one recorded "attack" by a soupfin on humans dating back to the 1600s) as long as you didn't harass them.

That weekend a group of bozos went out to Lover's Cove (a popular snorkeling spot) and encountered the soupfins. They grabbed them by the tails and fins. Surprise. Every one of them ended up at the hospital emergency room with bites. Quintupled the number of known "attacks" historically in a single afternoon. Stupid is as stupid does.

Can horn shark bite people? I've seen divers torturing these poor things by grabbing them at the tails and let them flop around for a bit.

Speaking of human stupidity and sharks, 11 years ago I did a front page story in one of our local papers on soupfin sharks I filmed in Lover's Cove (Avalon on Catalina Island). I mentioned how great it was that these sharks were apparently recovering from intense harvest of them during WWII for the vitamin D in their livers. I also said they were harmless (only one recorded "attack" by a soupfin on humans dating back to the 1600s) as long as you didn't harass them.

That weekend a group of bozos went out to Lover's Cove (a popular snorkeling spot) and encountered the soupfins. They grabbed them by the tails and fins. Surprise. Every one of them ended up at the hospital emergency room with bites. Quintupled the number of known "attacks" historically in a single afternoon. Stupid is as stupid does.

LOL! Remember, you can't fix stupid. :wink:

Can horn shark bite people? I've seen divers torturing these poor things by grabbing them at the tails and let them flop around for a bit.

A few years back I saw a horn shark bite a finger while on the good ship Rapture with my students. Captain Scott was on a live feed dive one night while we all watched from the galley. He found a horn shark and turned it belly up to the camera. He then stuck his finger right up to it's mouth and the little guy chomped down on it. It took a little while to get his finger out while the crew had a good laugh.

The only shark that has ever attacked me was a horn shark. I found an 18-20" individual sitting on the bottom and tried to move (bad, Dr. Bill!) it for a better camera angle. The little thing got po'ed, swam up to my chest and starting "biting" my wetsuit. I laughed so hard my reg fell out of my mouth.

Back
Top Bottom