Great White Shark caught off Fort Lauderdale

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Force-E Divers

ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
Reaction score
Riviera Beach, Boca Raton, Pompano Beach, FL
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Well you don't see this everyday...

Fishing report: Great white caught off Fort Lauderdale - Sun Sentinel
Large great white shark caught, released off Fort Lauderdale

The crew of charter boat Hooked Up estimated the rare catch at 131/2 feet long and 800-1,000 pounds

• [*=center]

photo courtesy tacohookedup.com WS2: The Fort Lauderdale charter boat… (Sun Sentinel )

April 9, 2013|By Steve Waters, Sun Sentinel
Great white sharks are a rarity in Florida, so when a shark ate a butterflied bonito on a kite line Tuesday morning off Fort Lauderdale, the crew on Hooked Up figured it had to be a bull shark.
It wasn't until almost two hours later that Capt. Greg McCauley realized that his four anglers had been fighting a great white estimated at 131/2 feet and 800-1,000 pounds.

pixel.gif

pixel.gif

"No one knew what it was until we got it to the boat," said Capt. Taco Perez, who owns the Fort Lauderdale charter boat. "I've been fishing here since 1969 and Greg and I saw one three years ago.
"It's so darn uncommon. We're pretty excited about it."
Hooked Up was fishing in 180 feet off Port Everglades Inlet, which Perez said "is less than a mile and a quarter from the beach." Anglers Harry Andro, Josh Shailer and Jared and Tanner Elliott, who all play
baseball
for Tallahassee Community College, had already caught a sailfish, some dolphin and two nice kingfish when the shark was hooked.

The men took turns fighting the shark on a Penn International 80 with a 19-wire leader. During the fight, the hook pulled free from the shark's mouth and snagged on one of its pectoral fins, which prolonged the fight. Perez said the great white was released in good shape.
Fish of the week
Ray Peterson and Bill Davis caught 26.07 pounds of bass to win the King of the Glades qualifier tournament Sunday out of Everglades Holiday Park. Tim Feller and Dean Belits were second at 21.49, followed by Chad Langley and Joe D'Orio at 17.18, Thadeus Ragan and Ross Myers at 16.84 andTerry and Chris McCartha at 16.8. Josh Wellecs had the big bass at 6.66. The bite was off because the South Florida Water Management District was moving water in the wake of recent rains. The best lures were topwater plugs, plastic frogs and plastic creature baits pitched in lily pads.
Mike Swiek hooked three bonefish and landed a 6-pounder and also caught a number of small sharks fishing in South Biscayne Bay with Capt. Jorge Valverde. The following day, Swiek hooked three tarpon and landed one and also caught several sharks and redfish of 32 and 34 inches fishing in Florida Bay out of Flamingo.
Just Do It, which caught and released 18 sailfish Friday to lead by five fish, added six releases Saturday to win the Yamaha/Contender Miami Billfish Tournament. Miss Britt II was second with 22 sailfish. Qualifier was third with 18 releases, including one blue marlin, and Qualifier's Trey Claus was the tournament's top angler with 10 releases, including the marlin. The 31 boats caught a total of 251 billfish.
Stephanie Gordon of Just Do It was the top female angler with five sailfish. James David of Jichi was the top junior angler with eight sailfish. Pro Payroll was the top funfish boat with 97.2 pounds.
Hairraiser won the One-Day Outboard Challenge Saturday with seven releases. Knot Liable, one of five boats with four releases, was second. Blue Brothers was the top funfish boat in the 32-boat fleet at 73.6.

YIKES!

Chug
Wonders if the GW's are here to eat the stinkin' Lion Fish.

They showed footage on the news tonight. That shark looked just about dead when they got it up next to the boat. They also showed a picture of it belly up.....

That's unfortunate. I had suspicions about that when they mentioned it was over a two hour fight. I hope they properly revived it before they released it. It would be a shame for one of these truly amazing animals to die in such a pitiful state.... :(

Interesting - how do you revive such a massive animal in the water? I'm asking out of curiosity. Seems like the logistics of trying to maneuver it would be unworkable.

Richard.

It would be a daunting task to be honest. Unfortunately, it's not quite as easy as things that don't bite you, but ideally you want to stabilize the animal while getting water flow over its gills so that it can properly respirate. I'd take a guess at attempting to hold it via the dorsal and pectoral fins and slowly drive the boat along . This works for most fish, but would be quite difficult with that massive of a shark. Then again, people do similar things with big marlins, so why not?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom