Shark kills Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here is the Fox News interview with Doc Anes of San Diego Shark Diving (the guy who does our great white shark diving (in cages)) about the guy that was attacked while shark diving off Fort Lauderdale.

FOXNews.com - Shark Kills Austrian Scuba Diver in Baited Water - Greta Van Susteren | On The Record With Greta##

I am sorry the incident happened as it brings a cloud to all diving operations as well as shark diving ops. I concur with previous comments on informed consent and personal responsibility including researching the stellar or dubious reputations of the dive ops we choose to dive with. As more people dive each year, the probablity increases that more incidents (not just shark diving) will occur even with good dive ops. Its their response and corrective/preventative actions for the future that will affect their reputations.

Just my $0.02 from someone whose livelihood depends in part on shark diving....

Statistics verify that the vast majority of shark "attacks" are to people in shallow water and are most likely the result of "mistaken identity". In fact, there are very few reports of scuba divers being bitten by sharks. However, this news report is an exception.

Diver in chummed waters dies after shark bite - CNN.com

Yes, some will say folks who do this are asking for trouble and it was only a matter of time before there was a death in this type of activity. Others will say it's simply an anomaly and that the numbers verify it is a relatively safe practice. What is your opinion on the practice of diving among chummed sharks and the charters who provide this type of dive experience?
Do you also cite "National Enquirer" as a source? Comic books?

I didn't go over all 80 responses, as I followed the earlier thread on this subject in the appropriate forum for longer than that. Please see: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/accidents-incidents/222402-shark-bites-liveaboard-guest.html

A man is dead and some of you guys find it necessary to make lawyer jokes? Pretty sad.....

A Lawyer is dead, eaten perhaps, by one of his own....:rofl3:

Do you also cite "National Enquirer" as a source? Comic books?

I didn't go over all 80 responses, as I followed the earlier thread on this subject in the appropriate forum for longer than that. Please see: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/accidents-incidents/222402-shark-bites-liveaboard-guest.html

If this forum is inappropriate, as you infer, why haven't any of the Mods merged the two forums after it has been asked for several times? Just curious.

Not long ago I went on a commercial fishing boat for three weeks and that offered me a lot of insight into the knowledge a shark has. every night when we stopped for the night the boat was soon surrounded by sharks in a matter of seconds. didn't matter where we stopped and we were not throwing anything over the side. yet the sharks would stay all night long even after we started fishing the next day. could they smell the fish on the boat? or was it just out of past experience that made them circle the boat all night long? and on the few times when we did toss bits and pieces over board they would go nuts yet watching them I felt like there was a peeking order so to speak.so if they are that intelligent to have a peeking order then they know who and what we are.so I would have to say when they do attack a human its not an accident. they are far more Intelligent then we give them credit for. play with fire expect to get burned.

A man is dead and some of you guys find it necessary to make lawyer jokes? Pretty sad.....

A Lawyer is dead, eaten perhaps, by one of his own....:rofl3:

:D :popcorn:

Attachments

• Herman.jpg
    Herman.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 64
My sympathy goes out to the family of the diver as well as the crew on the boat. I have read alot about this accident on the net aswell as some of the posts, some of the stuff I have read online aswell things I have heard on the news bother me. Why is it that when ever their is an accident,the public aswell as the media feel that someone needs to be singled out and blamed, the dive charter for example. Their name is being dragged through the mud for no reason. Diving can be dangerous no matter where it is. Many divers aswell as non divers have the desire to get into the water with sharks. Some people desire diving with larger sharks, tiger sharks, lemon sharks, hammerhead sharks ,bull sharks,and even great white sharks. This is not anything new and is not likely to go away because of one diver being bit by a shark. The fact is the diver had a desire to dive with these sharks without the protection of a cage. I dont for one second feel he was put on the boat against his will, geared up, and thrown into the water with these sharks. He likely did his homework and chose the dive charter in question because they claimed they could get him up close and personal with these sharks. Regardless if they were chumming the water or not, diving in a cage, or out of a cage, The fact remains that what ever the circumstances are, when you get into the water knowing that sharks are in the area, guess what people, YOU MIGHT GET BIT. The diver knew their would be sharks, he knew their would be chum in the water, he knew he wouldnt be in a cage, and guess what, he still got into the water. I feel it is extremely risky and dangerous to dive with these sharks with out a cage, but that is just me. This is not the fault of the boat crew, the dive shop, they can not control or predict what a shark might do. As far as im concerned, The shark is to blame for biting the diver and the diver is to blame for getting into the water with known aggressive sharks without the protection of a cage. We all make choices in our lives, perhaps we should take responsability for our own actions instead of looking for someone to blame when things dont go as planned. I would personally love to dive with lemon sharks, tiger sharks, bullsharks, hammerheads, aswell as greatwhites, however I would never risk my life just to say I swam with these sharks without the security of a cage.Regarding percentages of attacks on divers, here are some stats from ISAF.
Surfers/windsurfers (35 incidents: 56% of cases with victim activity information) and swimmers/waders (24: 38%) and were the recreational user groups most often involved in shark attacks in 2007. Less affected were divers/snorkelers (4: 6%). In eight attacks the activity of the victim was not ascertained. Surfers have been the most affected user group in recent years.Getting species identification in shark attacks is difficult because victims seldom see the shark or, if they do, see it in sufficient detail to make an accurate identification (often difficult even for well-trained scientists). Therefore we get this information in only a small portion of our investigations. In 2007, we identified the attacking shark to species in a dozen incidents: white shark, Carcharodon carcharias (5), tiger shark, Galeocerdo cuvier (3), bull shark, Carcharhinus leucas (2), and bronze whaler, Carcharhinus brachyurus (2). In addition, one bite was attributed to an unidentified species of wobbegong and two bites were said to be "blacktip" sharks, a somewhat dubious identification inasmuch as many shark species have black tips on their fins.

Darol,

In defense of Hetland, I must say there is nothing like making fun of the decesed to show your classy raising! Well done:yelclap:

Same goes for the rest telling lawyer jokes; really crude guys...not a way you would think we would want to react in the diving community when one of our own gets killed.

Fuzz

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom