Shark kills Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I still can't get how chuming is unnatural? Does the food come with a label? Is there evidence that the shark knows that the food or promise of food comes from an "unnatural" source? Pigs are pretty smart fellows and I don't think they care who slops them! They come for the food whether it drops from the sky or the farmer! I just love purists they have it all figured out what is natural and what isn't! We didn't show up here on a space ship and therefore man is natural to the environment! If we are smart enough to invent SCUBA it doesn't make us less natural! Chumming attracts and stimulates natural behavior in sharks, nothing more and nothing less! Guess what Mutual Of Omaha does bait many wild animals for their nature shows! It's done all the time, it was even done by Cousteau!

So please go all natural so I can smell you coming!

I think chumming the water BECOMES unethical when the dive operation relies solely on chumming to dive w/ sharks... it seems to me that some operations may be more concerned w/ profiting from a booming interest in shark dives... the more diver's they get the more chum dives they do and it if the sole drive to chum the waters is too guarantee as many "good" shark dives for as many people as possible, then they should take a step back and look at the ecological repercussions their actions might have on the reef and it's inhabitants...

HOWEVER, it is my goal to experience as many sharks in the water as possible. I've surfed w/ them for years now, and I think they are amazing creatures and definitely put humans to shame in the water... I even have a set goal to freedive w/ Great Whites... But i fully understand the danger I put myself in and am prepared to face the consequences. NO ONE SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO SUE FOR BEING BITTEN BY A SHARK ON A SHARK DIVE!!! If you didn't know what you are getting into then you deserve it! I know that comes off as being harsh, AND I do think a full investigation is warranted for ALL injuries incurred while diving w/ an operation (especially shark dives) but prosecuting for anything short of tying bait to the divers is ludicrous!

If you are unsure whether you should go on a shark dive open the phone book for central Nebraska... close your eyes and flip through the pages... stop on a page and place your finger on a name... open your eyes and call that person... ask them whether you should go on the dive.

How come I can't get an answer? Unethical? How so? who's ethics? What is unnatural about food in the water? It happens all the time from many sources! The shark doesn't have ethics, it will eat its own given the chance, so whats wrong with congregating sharks?

How come I can't get an answer? Unethical? How so? who's ethics? What is unnatural about food in the water? It happens all the time from many sources! The shark doesn't have ethics, it will eat its own given the chance, so whats wrong with congregating sharks?

it becomes unethical when they do it to generate profit... I don't disagree w/ all chumming or feeding... let's say a dive operation goes to a remote atoll and sees some sharks... they start bringing divers there to see sharks, but sometimes only one or two sharks show up... so next time they throw some bait in the water and get a dozen sharks on the dive... the dive op starts doing well from the shark dives and adds another trip to the site during the day... so now there's two feeding times. fast forward five years: there are now 5 dive operations using the site for 2 dives a day, that can be up to 10 feedings a day! (maybe they work together and share a couple of dives:rofl3: bringing it down to 6 or 7 feedings a day). If this site becomes a cruise ship destination :11: the competition elevates to an entirely different level...

I mean c'mon... we have done so many atrocious things to this planet:shakehead:... Can't we just "observe" instead of "meddle" ???? we hold ourselves on such a high pedestal that when we come crashing down it's gonna hurt bad:reaper:... and hopefully we won't bring the planet down too:(

um ... how many years have humans inhabited the earth? sharks? i wouldnt worry too much ... 2012 is the end for us anyway isnt it .... lol

Start looking at the numbers, and it is becoming frighteningly clear about the state of the top apex predator. At the rate of their demise to the rate they reproduce, it's definitely not in the shark's favor. But that is for another thread.

Protecting my sharks!
Carolyn:sharks:

BTW isn't amazing at how little time we have been on this planet and how much we have destroyed? Sad Sad Sad!

Increasing the shark population....I have no problems with that! CHUM AWAY! I think we need to calm down abit over this whole thing. In order for research to happen, we bait. In order for photographers to get better pictures, which leads to more information, we bait. It is done on land and at sea. Better understanding and having personal experiences leads to improved understanding of the creatures around us. I just can't see blaming these operators. Lets focus our time, effort, and money on those that are truly destroying ecosystems in the form of illegal and unregulated fishing practices.

Happy diving with my sharks!

PS...HAVNMONKEY, I am looking for a shark dive buddy! Want to join forces? I admire your passion! Dive safe!

Increasing the shark population....I have no problems with that! CHUM AWAY! I think we need to calm down abit over this whole thing. In order for research to happen, we bait. In order for photographers to get better pictures, which leads to more information, we bait. It is done on land and at sea. Better understanding and having personal experiences leads to improved understanding of the creatures around us. I just can't see blaming these operators. Lets focus our time, effort, and money on those that are truly destroying ecosystems in the form of illegal and unregulated fishing practices.

Happy diving with my sharks!

PS...HAVNMONKEY, I am looking for a shark dive buddy! Want to join forces? I admire your passion! Dive safe!

Yea, I just got into a new career... so this year is gonna be tight but I wll be taking multiple Vacs a year:lotsalove: when I get some time built up (4 on 4 off schegules rule:D)

and again it's not the chumming and baiting I worry about it's the fact that the sharks can be caught in the middle of a competitive market war between "questionable" operations... and we ALL know there are some abusive operations out there:shakehead: that cut corners for profit just as a regular practice... And i'm not just talking about shark dives!!!

IMG_2529copy.jpg

so you will be chum diving again?

Well, I'll be spear fishing for sure. Does using shrimp as bait to draw snappers out of a hole count as chumming?
No, it's not likely I'll go on a commercial "shark chumming" dive again. I've only gone on "commercial" dives once in the last 7 years. I only went to the Blue Hole on one because my boat is too small to get there safely.

my Gray Reefer from above was on a shark dive in Roatan almost 2 years ago now... I enjoyed it immensely... the DM had a bucket of fish heads (about 15 or so) that he dropped to the bottom, while we all (10 divers) got our gear ready. The bucket was not opened until the end of our dive so for the most part the 20+ sharks were just cruising around the area... When the DM opened the lid of the bucket they all went crazy... duh... and it was pretty cool. One guy taking pictures drifted right over the bucket (while SOLELY looking through his viewfinder) during the frenzy . It kinda looked like he was gonna get sucked right into the bucket until the DM grabbed him by his 1st stage and yanked him out amidst a writhing game of sharky twister... This guy was absolutely clueless as to where he was... If the DM hadn't yanked him outta the way, he probably would've been ripped to shreds... I have it on DVD somewhere, I'll try to find it...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom