Shark Caught

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Would it be OK if the family ate it?
Or donated it to a shelter?
Last time I looked bullsharks were not endangered or overfished and it was legal to fish for them so I had no problem as long as the meat gets eaten.I don't believe in killing just to kill.

Last time I checked finning is not a problem in Florida waters......

Too bad people dont put this sort of emotion into fish and animals that are truly overfished by the commercial industry off the coast of Florida: groupers, spiny lobsters, stone crabs, dolphin...

I think people worried about sharks would be more concerned about the number of sharks brought up on long-line boats.

Recreational fishing is not the enemy.

I'd say in the last two years I have seen more sharks than ever before. From my perspective, it's controlling an artifically out of balance ecosystem... I'm normally more ecofriendly, but in this case I think we need to be catching more than one per boat per trip...

My buddy and I saw two bull sharks in the same area at the same time he caught his. When our boat was returning to the marina, we passed Sailfish Marina and saw a large shark hanging from a hoist. We couldn't ID the shark from a distance, but it had to be the same one. They are out there this time of year.

Too bad people dont put this sort of emotion into fish and animals that are truly overfished by the commercial industry off the coast of Florida: groupers, spiny lobsters, stone crabs, dolphin...

I think people worried about sharks would be more concerned about the number of sharks brought up on long-line boats.

Recreational fishing is not the enemy.

Matt, I can't speak specifically for the fisheries in Florida waters. However, you might be surprised at the impact of recreational fishers on a number of target species. There are far more recreational fishers than commercial boats, and even though they may take only 1-2 per year of a species, the numbers can quickly add up.

However, I share your concern about the number of sharks and other non-target species caught by longliners and gillnetters.

Matt, I can't speak specifically for the fisheries in Florida waters. However, you might be surprised at the impact of recreational fishers on a number of target species. There are far more recreational fishers than commercial boats, and even though they may take only 1-2 per year of a species, the numbers can quickly add up.

However, I share your concern about the number of sharks and other non-target species caught by longliners and gillnetters.

On the west coast of Florida to get to good fishing for grouper one needs a VERY expensive boat and about $200 in fuel to get at least 20 miles offshore and back. We are allowed five fish per day- kind of- it is a complicated mess of species and bag limits. Two reds here, a gag here, a black there. It aint us depleting the grouper stocks in Florida. They have closed grouper in state waters when they are closest to shore during the cold season. They are still open in federal water so the guys with big boats (commercial) can target them.

It aint us depleting the grouper fisheries in Florida. It is so bad I have even quit eating grouper in restaurants.

Matt - I'm with ya buddy, especially on the grouper in resturants deal. Well add to that the problem with some resturants serving whitefish that wasn't Grouper but charging Grouper prices and calling it that fish.

I've seen very few Grouper when out diving this coast actually..

I've seen no sharks diving in the Gulf, but I know they are there. I've actually seen more standing in thigh deep water (bonnet heads) and snorkeling a shallow reef (lil reef shark) than I ever have diving anywhere in FL.

The kid was probably thrillled, but sorry, I dive that area 2 - 3 times a month, and would rather have the chance to see the shark swimming, than on a dock or an entry in a record book.

If you are not going to eat it, release it, take a picture, and if you want a mount made, fine.

And no, I don't believe the recreational fishing industry is the problem - the factory ships or the shark finners I don't absolve.

I hate to see a big shark like that strung up just for bragging rights. I'm an avid bird hunter so I'm surely not against killing animals for food - but this shark died for no other reason than ego. The kid may or may not know better but the adults sure should.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom