Shark Caught

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

427Dave

Contributor
Reaction score
The Villages, FL, and Northern Wisconsin (4 months
# of dives
200 - 499
How about this:

Boy, 12, Reels in 551-Pound Bull Shark

1 day ago

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. — A 12-year-old Connecticut boy may be the new Florida state record holder for catching the heaviest bull shark. Aidan Murray Medley had a spent a half day at sea Tuesday when he reeled in the 551-pound bull shark just north of the Palm Beach Inlet.
The seventh-grader at Eagle Hill School in Greenwich was in Palm Beach County on vacation with his family. They plan to submit his catch for a new state record.
Florida wildlife officials say the current record set in 1981 was a 517-pound catch at Panama City Beach.

We were fortunate enought to see a VERY large bull shark while diving off Breakers Sunday. Hopefully he wasn't the one that was caught. I'm sure the boy was thrilled to catch the shark, but I always hate to read about more sharks being killed. Granted this one animal is nothing compared to the illegal shark finning going on around the world, but (to me at least) it's a shame nonetheless.

I just don't get the killing things just because you can bit. They are not going to eat the shark. They just want to have their picture taken with it and have something to brag about when they get to the old folks home? I would rather take a fab pic of the shark and see it live until another day.

I just don't get the killing things just because you can bit. They are not going to eat the shark. They just want to have their picture taken with it and have something to brag about when they get to the old folks home? I would rather take a fab pic of the shark and see it live until another day.

Exactly my thought, as well. This is actually a little saddening...

I was there last Saturday doing a shark dive. I didn't see anything that big though. I did see about 4 bulls but I think the largest was about 8 feet or so.

The saddest part of this whole "Big Shark Catch" thing is that this was a huge female bull shark, so its not just one shark that was killed but many generations of bull sharks that will be missing from the population.

Would it be OK if the family ate it?
Or donated it to a shelter?
Last time I looked bullsharks were not endangered or overfished and it was legal to fish for them so I had no problem as long as the meat gets eaten.I don't believe in killing just to kill.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom