Shark Attacks Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bomber once bubbled...
Whoa! After reading all accounts of this - thank God you're alright Hector!

Just some observations about this from a 30+ year biologist.
That is a very interesting take. We spend a lot of time under ledges looking for stuff, I never thought about the possibility you mentioned. One things for sure, sharks are getting pretty ballsy. A friend this past week was stringing up an amberjack, when suddenly he felt himself moving rapidly along the ledge without explanation. A 9' Dusky had one of his amerjack in his mouth, and was swimming away with it. On Friday, I was hammering away at some fish, and I had my stringer clipped off to a d-ring. I thought better of it after the 5th fish and started carrying it around. I'm more reluctant now to clip fish off to me, wish kind of stinks because I'm a lot more efficient that way.

Scott,
Back when I was spearfishing, I had my stringer on a 7 ft lanyard. I learned just as you have, it's not a good thing to clip a stringer, even on a long lanyard, to your person. If you have to give one back, all you have to do is to let go, instead of fumbling with a clip. Take care out there. :tree: Bob

Bomber once bubbled...
Scott

They are extremely smart with a heck of a good memory. Sounds to me like they've learned how to play the game.
There's a new rule to the game called "you get too close, you get a .357 powerhead upside your melon." Let's see how long it takes them to memorize that.

Congrats on the survival, pretty high pucker factor I imagine. I've only had one bad experience with the man in the grey suit. I would've done the exact same thing, I hope.

First of all kudos for great protection of human life. All this and nobody asked if you saved your gun or lost it. Did the shark get away with a spear in its mouth and gun attached or were you free shafting. Because next time I'm out there I'll be looking for a shark flossing his teeth. Or hopefully you killed this particular shark. I was also out there saturday were you at the south or north end of the grounds?? I've heard alot of stories lately about angry sharks in the north end. I was in the north and thankfully did not come across any. However I did see the biggest damn jewfish(what ever the new crappy political term for them is) I have ever seen had to be 800 #'s any body else dive the front middlegrounds wreck and see that monster??? Any close shark is a dead shark via 223;-0

Was diving off Destin today up pretty shallow.... a friend's kid wanted some bubble time, so we sat on a couple of shallow spots and blew tanks.

I took my gun in the hopes that there might be something legal down there for dinner. There wasn't - lots of small grouper, but nothing big enough to make a slab out of.

However, it was very sharky. On Dive #1 we had a 6-8' bull that thought he'd come play. He didn't get aggressive, but he was there. Mr. Gun stayed loaded, needless to say, even though there was nothing legal to have for dinner.

Ditto on #2 and #3 - very sharky as well.

If the Man in the Gray Suit wants a bite out of me, he's gonna have to eat the steel first. Ain't no way I'm gonna let him have a freebie arm, leg or head off me.

Hector did get his gun back. Once he got his mask back on and his reg in his mouth, he noticed it laying nearby. He WAS shooting lineshaft, the shaft just shook loose.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom