Shark attack stories anyone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How about

1. Baby seal eater

vs

2. Mass Orgy among the Giants [annual Whale Sharks breeding off the coast of Mexico]

I'm all for another TV show or movie about sharks and/or shark attacks. Jaws is one of my all time favorites. Shark Week? Heck, I wish they would extend it to "Shark Month"!!!!!!!!! Do shark attack shows scare people out of the water? I hope so! More room on the reef for me. But then again I'm also the guy that wants more people to go cave diving. The more divers you can cram in one of those caves just means less divers on my reef.

I dive around many types of sharks, seen Great White way to close in Va. Beach, had a big Tiger swimming behind us off Cape Hatteras both on Deco stops, Bulls flanking us on some dives in the Keys, have had to push many Sandtigers out of the way to get to anchor to tie in.
But the closest I ever came to being attacked was a 6ft Nurse shark that was under a piece of wreck off of Hatteras, I tried to get in close for a picture & it charged me,(only 1 way in & 1 way out) knowing it was harmless enough but still had my heart racing & my legs moving trying to get out of its way. LOL

Fairfield Marriotin Key West.

There is a "regular" that hangs out at the bar there. All the bartenders know his name. He has a HUGE set of teet scars running all down his leg. Hit by a TIger Shark 20 years ago and has a great story about the attack and his survival.

Still dives.

Im not sure where the attack happened - I know it wasnt in the keys. It was wherever he lived prior.

I am recording a series of television reports and one of them is about shark attacks. I was wondering if I can records a television interview with shark attack victim and was hoping if anyone knew anyone who has survived a shark attack. I will be traveling along the East coast to record shark attacks stories (among a series of other TV reports) and if I could interview someone in NC, SC, GA, FL that would be really great. Also open to discussing other shark related story ideas / interviews.

Thanks.

CS
The problem normally is the absolute yellow journalism employed by the TV reporters for most shark shows.
Certainly you could break out of this mold, and turn the interview into pointing blame at the victim--where it should be much of the time....

• Question:" So, when you were walking into the murky water, and saw baitfish jumping out of the water, did your brain turn off, or were you actually ignorant about the sharks that follow the baitfish close to shore?"
  • Question: " When you saw all the fisherman reeling in fish up and down the beach, and you saw them fighting with the fish on the line....did you ever stop to think about the sharks that would be hearing this as a DINNER BELL and that would be rushing around the murky water looking for the struggling meal?"
  • Question: " So when you pulled the steak out of the mouth of the 130 pound, hungry Rottweiler, did you honestly believe that this would be safe, and not likely to cause your arm to be ripped to shreds as it was?"
I would love to see people have to take responsibility for being stupid.

The problem normally is the absolute yellow journalism employed by the TV reporters for most shark shows.
Certainly you could break out of this mold, and turn the interview into pointing blame at the victim--where it should be much of the time....

• Question:" So, when you were walking into the murky water, and saw baitfish jumping out of the water, did your brain turn off, or were you actually ignorant about the sharks that follow the baitfish close to shore?"
  • Question: " When you saw all the fisherman reeling in fish up and down the beach, and you saw them fighting with the fish on the line....did you ever stop to think about the sharks that would be hearing this as a DINNER BELL and that would be rushing around the murky water looking for the struggling meal?"
  • Question: " So when you pulled the steak out of the mouth of the 130 pound, hungry Rottweiler, did you honestly believe that this would be safe, and not likely to cause your arm to be ripped to shreds as it was?"
I would love to see people have to take responsibility for being stupid.

My sister in law was "attacked". My wife was on the phone getting the initial info about the bite which occurred in 3 feet of murky water at the beach... While she was still on the phone, I yelled out.. "was she wearing an ankle bracelet?" And the immediate response was: "How did you know?" :shakehead: Some micro surgery on nerves and some stitches and she was good..

My sister in law was "attacked". My wife was on the phone getting the initial info about the bite which occurred in 3 feet of murky water at the beach... While she was still on the phone, I yelled out.. "was she wearing an ankle bracelet?" And the immediate response was: "How did you know?" :shakehead: Some micro surgery on nerves and some stitches and she was good..

For that matter, when I was on a "shark dive" with Jim Abernethy on sunday, "afterwards", it was suggested that I should have been wearing a hood and gloves, because of the large "white" contrast between my wetsuit and my exposed skin.....As long as you are planning something, it behooves you to learn a little before doing it....You'd think in all the time I have been diving I would have known about the hood issue....but it never occurred to me...and I hate wearing a hood because you can't hear well....but--in the future, if I expect to have a bunch of sharks right next to me, I think the hood would make me less ignorant :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom