Shark attack Catalina Sat. 6/21

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tailchaser

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm surprised no one has posted these yet.

Summary: GWS played tag with a kayaker off Catalina on Saturday 6/21, flipped her kayak and kept pushing. She was picked up by another boat but was close enough to stand on the shark at one point.

cbs2 news

From the boat that rescued her:

"She and the yak was knocked about four feet up in the air. When she landed, a four foot tail slapped her yak. Flipping it upside down! Then she stood up on the back of the fish, and dived into the water, and swam like hell! "

From a witness:

"I saw a big splash next to the boat and then saw what I initially thought was an arm waving back and forth and splashing. The "arm" was dark so I thought I was looking at a person in a wetsuit waving his arm back and forth. My brain didn't correctly process what I was seeing and for the first second or two I thought maybe somebody had played a trick on the lady by pushing her off the kayak and was screwing around and splashing her. I could also see a large dark shape maybe a foot out of the water that I thought could have been a couple of people in dark wetsuits but obscured by the splashing from the "arm". After about two seconds I realized the "arm" was actually part of a huge shark tail oriented vertically in the water and it was thrashing back and forth right at the surface. The large dark shape was actually part of the shark sticking out of the water. The portion of the tail I could see looked like it was three feet long. The shark was pushing on the kayak and the woman was on the far side of the kayak holding on and screaming. Apparently, when she was knocked out of the kayak at some point she ended up with the kayak between her and the shark. I'm sure that's what saved her life. Anyway, the shark was pushing on the up-side down kayak to get at her and the whole while she is shrieking like nothing I've ever heard."

Last edited:
The links don't work for me.

Sounds like the shark was being playful. Swimming like hell won't do anything if the shark is intent on having you for dinner.

I'm going to Catalina this weekend....uh oh!

I'm going to Catalina this weekend....uh oh!

I've been diving off Catalina for 38 years... thousands of dives... and only had one GWS swim within eyesight (at least that I was aware of). They are here but they have something else on their menu. I have seen them from boats and we have had several sightings here this year. However my dive friends whose sightings I believe say they flee when they approach blowing bubbles.

I did have one follow my kayak decades ago in the same area this incident occurred.

I wouldn't worry... and I'm NOT Alfred E. Neumann.

Sounds like the shark was being playful.

That's what it sounds like to me as well. I read an article (I think it was in the Smithsonian magazine "The Brains Behind the Jaws" article, if I'm not mistaken), in which they recounted instances where GW's would grab divers by the hand and pull them along (leaving the diver with only minor injuries). To the shark it's play time fun, to the diver it's the scare of a lifetime.

One more reason to support shark research. There is so much we just don't know...

I was diving in the water off of Catalina on the 21st. Whoa!! I often wonder how I would react if I saw a GW while in the water.

I was diving in the water off of Catalina on the 21st. Whoa!! I often wonder how I would react if I saw a GW while in the water.

Just be careful about taking your wetsuit off afterwards. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom