Shark Attack at Bellows

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Whoa, was just out to the Mokoluas on my kayak a few days ago. Would have been an adrenalin rush to see a 8' tiger close aboard.

He had a far greater chance of loosing his leg from a tourniquet than from the shark. Man I wish people were never tought those damn things! I spend a great deal of time UN teaching the use of tourniquets for most injuries.

Wildcard:
He had a far greater chance of loosing his leg from a tourniquet than from the shark.

What is the proper method for something that big? Just apply pressure?

Crazy! My wife was snorkeling off Lanikai just a few hours before this happened. No sign of the tiger when they were there though.

Doesn't look like this guy was spearfishing or otherwise doing something to provoke an attack. Wonder what the tiger was thinking?

20vturbo:
What is the proper method for something that big? Just apply pressure?
Direct pressure, elevation, then pressure points. Unless it's an amputation dont tie it off. What happens is people don't put them on tight enough to do any good, they just stop the venous return causing more bleeding. When they are on tight enough, they form blood clots that can cause AMIs or CVAs and you will most likely loose the limb. The bleeding will stop, it just takes a few minutes for all the cloting factor to start working. The goal is to slow the bleeding, not stop it entirely.

"Wonder what the tiger was thinking?"
Look, a shelless turtle!

Wildcard:
Direct pressure, elevation, then pressure points. Unless it's an amputation dont tie it off. What happens is people don't put them on tight enough to do any good, they just stop the venous return causing more bleeding. When they are on tight enough, they form blood clots that can cause AMIs or CVAs and you will most likely loose the limb. The bleeding will stop, it just takes a few minutes for all the cloting factor to start working. The goal is to slow the bleeding, not stop it entirely.

Thanks, good stuff to know

20vturbo:
Thanks, good stuff to know
Another reason the Rescue cert was such a good course... Covered this completely...

Wildcard:

In addition to all that, people like to put one on and then they will loosen it once the flow reduces/stops instead of letting the doctors take care of it. I was always taught life/limb. Try all ways to stop/slow the bleeding by all other means first and then, only if you can't, then the fact is they are going to die without any blood in their body, so tie one on and tie it tight.

Back
Top Bottom