Share your “If I had to do it again, I would have got this dive computer" Stories

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Beowolf, interesting. Based on some of the comments on this thread I think I wil check out the Oceanic VT3 AI. I think any watch size computer may be small for me and more difficult to read. That said, sounds like unless the AI computer has a compass (which the VT3 doesn't) you have to carry something extra, and, it sounds like a backup analog SPG is still a good idea.

Anyway, given you ate new to diving like me, your thoughts were helpful.

I like wrist mounted computers, because they're easy to watch, and I like to keep a weather eye on my depth and time. You CAN clip a console off so you can see it easily, but it's kludgy. But if you decide on a wrist unit, then you are looking at a transmitter for air integration. That tends to be more expensive, and also can be fallible, so you end up with an SPG anyway. So I think it makes more sense to save money, use an SPG and a non-air-integrated wrist unit. I had, and liked an Aladin Tech 2g, which is a reasonably priced Nitrox computer with a stopwatch and resettable depth averaging. The display is not as large as the Vytec, though. The download software for the Aladin is the best I've used, hands-down, but the IR interface is annoying.

The "I wish I'd just done this in the first place" computer I have is a Liquivision X1, and is rather out of your stated budget.

Beowolf, interesting. Based on some of the comments on this thread I think I wil check out the Oceanic VT3 AI. I think any watch size computer may be small for me and more difficult to read. That said, sounds like unless the AI computer has a compass (which the VT3 doesn't) you have to carry something extra, and, it sounds like a backup analog SPG is still a good idea.

Anyway, given you ate new to diving like me, your thoughts were helpful.

I don't mind the idea of having console for backup computer, spg and compass. I haven't met anyone who actually uses their integrated compass, btw. Outside of cert dives and nav course I have not used my compass for anything but a general idea of where I was heading.

Having air and computer, the 2 things I look at almost constantly in the same convenient location is what I'm looking for. Which may not be what you're looking for.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk

I faced the same dilemma as the OP 3 years ago when I was first getting into diving.

Rather than paying a huge premium for a few extra marginally useful features, I elected to purchase two Gekkos (one console and one wrist mount) so I could have redundancy, whether that be the computer crapping out on a dive vacation, dead battery, dropping the computer, breaking it, etc.

I haven't encountered a situation yet where I needed features the gekko doesn't already have..

Just another perspective..

The computers I've purchased over the last decade are all Nitrox capable, most of them with dual gas capability... even though I'm not certified for anything other than air (and don't plan to use "geezer gas"until I really get old). All of them have been wrist mounted, but after having my current two stolen recently I would consider a console since it is harder to "lift" than a wrist mounted one. Both of the ones I just had taken could function as bottom timers too even though I have no plans to go "tech."

Personally I've never had a desire for an air integrated one. Rather put the money into having a backup computer since I've had the battery go out on one years ago when I was on a 22 min deco stop.

. . . putting yourself in the shoes of someone who will be doing recreational diving with $400 to $600 to spend on a dive computer. To keep within that budget, what do you get as your first dive computer and what options do you forego given that budget?
I initially bought a Suunto Vytec - wrist-mounted, nitrox capable, air-integration capable, 3 gas switching, PC interface available. If I had it to do over again, as a first computer, I would buy the same thing.

I definitely prefer a wrsit-mounted unit. I liked the Vytec display size - I could read it underwater. The computer 'grew' with me, as I started using nitrox, as I moved to technical diving and the use of multiple deco gases, as I added a transmitter (not to replace my SPG by any means, but as an element of convenience u/w). I could change the battery myself (although not usually recommended). The only limitations - not much light in the display in dark/low light conditions. That wasn't a big deal.

I have used Niteks (the He), the Liquivision X1, and a Helo2. In fact, I sold the Vytec to be able to afford a Helo2, which I wanted as a back-up unit during trimix dives. Of all of them, I prefer the Nitek the least, primarily because the screen is hard to read u/w. I prefer the X1 the most, primarily because the screen is SO easy to read, and the use of 'tapping' to change screens is SO much easier than buttons. (But, as TS&M mentioned, not in your target price range.) I thought I would like the Helo2 a little more than the Vytec, but that hasn't been the case. Good computer, gives me trimix capability, not as easy for me to read as the Vytec for some reason.

Just thought I'd provide my current thinking in case anyone had any thoughts. One thing that came up when I was discussing things with my wife is that since she doesn't have a computer she would happily inherit whatever I get if I wanted to change or upgrade. Keeping in mind that I'm just a noob recreational diver and all here are some things I've been looking at if I were to go a certain route:

Console route
  • I initially was looking at Suunto products like the Cobra and Cobra 3 but have since started to like the Oceanic Pro Plus 2.1. It doesn't look as sleek as the cobras, but it looks like it has a nice big display and like the cobras and is AI. It may be my local dive shop, but I just don't seem to get the warm and fuzzy feeling when I go there to buy stuff. It is a shame really, but it has me wanting to avoid Suunto mostly because I don't want to deal with any maintanence through them.
Wrist Computer route with AI
  • Again, looking at Suunto the Vyper Air was an option but it seems quite expensive. Looking at the Oceanic VTC, it seems to be a similar unit and provide the AI transmitter at a better price. I haven't seen a VT3 in person though.
Wrist Computer watch size - I'm somewhat ruled these out since I feel I'd be able to see a bigger display better.

Wrist Computer with NO AI
  • At the moment, this option is the front runner - particulary if the wrist computer could be mounted in a console later as I could pass it on to my wife and she could put it in her console. It might also be the cheaper way to go.
  • I would need to get a separate SPG but would be willign to do that (and it seems like that should be done even if I went AI now or in the future).
  • As far as a compass goes, I really don't see having to use one very often given the recreational diving I'll be doing. I was thinking maybe a wrist compass would work, or, I was really wondering if anyone just had a compass they put in the pocket of the BCD and only took it out when needed?
Focusing on wrist mounted computer options, NON-AI, non-watch, anyone has some brand suggestions? I guess the Zoop and Vyper are options, but those would have me going back to Suunto and my local dive shop for service. Any other recommended "Zoop" type/priced watch style computers out there you may be using and recommend? IDEALLY, if you provide a suggestion it would be better if it was a wrist computer that could also be mounted in a console.

Wrist with AI is still an option though, but I'm thinking maybe it's better to get my feet wet first, then upgrade to a wrist with AI and pass the wrist non-AI on to my wife to put in her console (or wear on her wrist if she preferes - but she currently says she likes the consoles).

If you go with an AI computer I highly recommend a separate SPG anyway. My dive buddies have had problems with their AI pressure readings. One ditched the AI (pro plus 2) and the other added back a brass and glass SPG to her rig.

If you go with an AI computer I highly recommend a separate SPG anyway. My dive buddies have had problems with their AI pressure readings. One ditched the AI (pro plus 2) and the other added back a brass and glass SPG to her rig.
Hmmm, that's the first time I've heard on should also carry an SPG if using a wired computer like the pro plus 2 (usually this comes up with AI transmitters). I guess it is safe to always have a back up SPG.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom