Share your “If I had to do it again, I would have got this dive computer" Stories

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Everyone has been really helpful and this thread is helping me picture how things would go together. So using some of the suggestions above, let's say I go with a wrist computer which is something I think I would like.

Lets assume that I go with a wrist computer (non AI for the moment), and get a separate SPG and a separate compass (either with the SPG or wrist mount or I saw one that retracts from your BCD). I'm somewhat familiar with the Suunto models b/c the dive shop I got certified carries them and gave me a product guide. Looks like the Vyper and Zoop are options but the Zoop doesn't have the gauge mode some people referenced. I guess in watch style the D4 and D6 are options although I'm not sure if those fall into my budget. The D6 appears to have a digital compass which would alleviate the need to have a separate compass.

Here are a couple questions:

The bigger displays on models like the Vyper, Zoop, Gekko, look nice but do you end up bumping them into things or getting them caught on the BCD more often?

What other brand and model specifically would you suggest I look up (i.e. that you may be using) to compare to the Sunnto line. From what I read, Oceanic seems to be the next most popular line.

My opinion may be different than others but maybe that's a good reason to post it... I don't envision myself getting into serious technical diving - I'm very happy with Nitrox and an MOD of 111 fsw. I bought an air-integrated console computer initially (SmartCom from UWATEC/ScubaPro) and I like it OK - I understand the arguments for and against console computers and air-integrated but I actually like having an air-integrated computer that is contantly keeping track of my current gas remaining, my consumption rate, nitrogen loading and PPO2/ox-tox risk. It looks constantly at the factor that is most significant at the moment and lets me know how much bottom time is remaining based on the most urgent parameter - and calculates it taking into consideration repetitive dives and my current exertion level. I am leery of wireless transmitters and willing to put up with a console since it replaces an analog SPG.

Having said all of that - I recently had a chance to play with the new Atomic Cobalt computer and I have to say I wish I had waited and bought that one! It addresses all of the things I DON'T like about my computer - rechargeable battery using wall charger or USB port; beautiful bright OLED display that is easy to read (for my 50-year-old eyes without reading glasses) and has a terrific intuitive user-interface and little chance of misinterpreting what your computer is trying to tell you. Navigation buttons are easy to use and manipulate under water. This is the iPad of dive computers (in my humble opinion) because it has such a user-friendly design - and even though its around US$1200, I think it is totally worth the cost.

My 2 Psi...

I think I would probably prefer a wrist mounted computer and understand that I'd need to have a SPG also then. I would probalby like air intergrated to but getting a transmitter from what I am seeing throws the price way above my budget. I haven't really seen an AI in my price range.

What about the compass? If the wrist mounted computer doesn't have a compass (which it appears only the more expensive ones do) what do people do about the compass?

For $600, AI writst mounted is definitely possible.
Oceanic Atom 2.0 Air Integrated Hoseless Dive Computer Watch (Complete System)
Oceanic VT Pro Hoseless Wrist Computer & Transmitter. Includes PC Download Kit

They are new. If you don't mind used, they can be had for much less. But again, I don't think AI offer too much value other than convinience, something I will skip if budget is tight.

As for compass, mount it on left wrist. So computer on right wrist.

an air-integrated computer that is contantly keeping track of my current gas remaining, my consumption rate, nitrogen loading and PPO2/ox-tox risk.

Keeping track of consumption rate is nice. In fact, it is the main reason I use AI.

On the contrary, any computer will keep track of NDL and O2 level, AI or not. The air remaining time computed is for you, the diver only. So supposed when air remain time = 0, you ascent, everything will be fine if nothing abnormal happen. Now what is at that time, you buddy has freeflow 2nd stage, you have share air with him/her. Then you will NOT have enough air to come to surface. Where I am taught, I would always have enough air for myself and my buddy to surface. I am not aware of any computer take that into account.

For $600, AI writst mounted is definitely possible.
Oceanic Atom 2.0 Air Integrated Hoseless Dive Computer Watch (Complete System)
Oceanic VT Pro Hoseless Wrist Computer & Transmitter. Includes PC Download Kit

They are new. If you don't mind used, they can be had for much less. But again, I don't think AI offer too much value other than convinience, something I will skip if budget is tight.

As for compass, mount it on left wrist. So computer on right wrist.

Thanks for the links and the AI options within budget.

Is LeisurePro a good place to buy? I keep reading about grey market products from them whereby the manufactures warranty doesn't apply. I did look at an item on Ebay that LeisurePro had listed and it was like pulling teeth to get them to answer any questions about their warranty. It just made me a bit concerned I guess.

Thinking more about a wrist computer, I don't really see me wearing the watch style unless I'm diving so I think I would prefer a larger face wrist computer, maybe like the VT3 if I did go AI (of course this goes a bit out of budget).

It looks like LeisurePro actually has theOceanic VT3 wrist computer and transmitter for $599 also which was the same price as the Atom 2.0.

I had the Oceanic Proplus 2 for 3 years and loved it. I used it as a back-up to datamask for the last year and that one day my G/F forgot her Computer so i let her use my proplus and I never got it back. She liked it and kept using it untill she too got a datamask. Know she used her Datamask and Nitek Duo. But For my 1st computer I was very happy with it, very easy to use and see. You can also keep an eye out on the boards occasionally there will be higer end computers close to your range.

For what it's worth. I'm pretty new with only about 15 dives. I bought an "inexpensive" option when I bought my regs, an Aeris XR2 in my console. I do not regret buying the XR2 since it serves me well and a more expensive option was not in the budget. But, I borrowed a wrist non AI on a couple dives and now really want an AI wrist, I really like the idea of having air and computer in the same place. LDS had a used D9 that I tried in the pool but the display was too small for my liking. I will at some point buy an AI wrist but I have other financial priorities right now and the XR1 does everything I need it to do. If I had a spare $600 I'd get one of those Oceanics posted, once I had a chance to check out in person for display size.

Back
Top Bottom