Shallow (10m) dive trips in Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mstevens

Toadfish. Splendid is implied but not guaranteed.
Reaction score
I know I may be opening a can of worms with this one, but here goes.

My 10 year-old got a PADI Scuba Diver (Junior) certification last month in Guadeloupe. We made no attempt to go for Open Water, but he did take an entire week of daily classroom and saltwater instruction (all the confined diving was from the beach). He's 3/4 fish, a state-level competitive swimmer, cautious but not scared, and the most prudent 10 y/o I know (and I know lots of them). OTOH, he *is* 10. His cert will let him dive to 10 meters (or is it 12?) with a certified diver - both his mom and I are NAUI Assistant Instructors, I'm a physician, and we've already lost a kid so we're not taking chances. We do want to plan a dive trip in August that will let us dive as a family, preferably on shallow reefs. I don't care how "basic" the dive is (or other divers are) - we're happy just to be underwater.

Are there appropriate boat dives in Cozumel to these shallow depths? Are we likely to find a dive op who doesn't mind taking us out to these time after time for a week? Or are we better served by just doing shore dives or going to a different destination?

My wife and I will be in Cozumel in about 3 weeks on our own, so we might check out some sites while there, but opinions from here would be valued.

Just the opinion of one who loves diving in Coz - I'd go to the BVI's or the Bahamas with a newbie 10 year old. Boat diving in Coz is usually a first deep dive to 75 to 100 feet, followed by a surface interval, then a shallow dive to 30 to 50 feet. Currents can be strong at times! Shore diving is there, but not that great.

The Bahamas ond the BVI's have LOTS of shallow diving with not much current in many places. I ran a charter yacht in both locales, and had great diving day after day just rolling off our dinghy into the water.

Jeff
http://seahorse.home.texas.net

There is one reef I can think of off hand that is in the 30 maybe 40 foot range and that is Paradise reef. Boats usually hit that reef on the afternoon dive, it is very popular for nigt diving as well. Maybe that is your best option to go on the afternoon dives that tend to be shallower. Shore diving is very shallow in the 20 foot range, but I'm not sure where you are staying. Talk to Christi at Blue XTC I'm sure she can help you out.

Cozumel's Columbia Shallows has outstanding marine life. It's no deeper than 35'. It's usually the second or third dive in a boat trip after deeper spots, so you would probably have to make a costly, special trip. However, with only Columbia Shallows and possibly one or two more (Chakannab Shallows?), they wouldn't be worth a week-long trip to Cozumel. The advice above is good: consult Christi at Blue XTC. She'll be helpfully honest.

Personally, I would take him to Bonaire. It is the easiest diving to do. It has tons of shore dives and very shallow reefs. It is like swimming in an aquarium!! Very pretty.

zinmaker:
Shore diving is very shallow in the 20 foot range, but I'm not sure where you are staying.

We'll be at the Presidente this time. Not sure about next. The more I think about this, the more I figure I'll probably need to charter a small boat or arrange for private instruction. I don't really do PADI, and "Scuba Diver" (let alone the "Junior" flavor) seems to have disappeared from their website so I can't look up the restrictions. It didn't matter much in Guadeloupe since *everyone* has to dive with a licensed guide or instructor in France, but doesn't "Scuba Diver" require diving with an instructor? That would count out the typical sort of shore diving. While these would be issues no matter what the destination, it does sound as if we should be considering Bonaire. It's just that he likes Mexico so much!

squidgy:
Personally, I would take him to Bonaire. It is the easiest diving to do. It has tons of shore dives and very shallow reefs. It is like swimming in an aquarium!! Very pretty.

DITTO

mstevens:
We'll be at the Presidente this time. Not sure about next. The more I think about this, the more I figure I'll probably need to charter a small boat or arrange for private instruction. I don't really do PADI, and "Scuba Diver" (let alone the "Junior" flavor) seems to have disappeared from their website so I can't look up the restrictions. It didn't matter much in Guadeloupe since *everyone* has to dive with a licensed guide or instructor in France, but doesn't "Scuba Diver" require diving with an instructor? That would count out the typical sort of shore diving. While these would be issues no matter what the destination, it does sound as if we should be considering Bonaire. It's just that he likes Mexico so much!

Your son would definitely be in the Junior OPen Water category, but at 10 years old is limited to a max depth of 40 feet, and must dive with a certified adult and/or dive professional at all times.

The PADI Scuba diver rating is basically for those who do not have time to finish the full open water course, but still allows the diver to dive with a guide until they have a chance to complete their certification.

There are some nice shallow sites here in Cozumel, but requesting to stick to those sites everyday won't make the others on the boat happy, and is just not practiccal for the dive operator. You have a few options.

1. Charter a private boat and guide
  2. Schedule afternoon dives and a private DM for your son
  3. Schedule morning dives on a beginner boat with a private DM for your son
Afternoon dives a typically shallower, but still not always 40 feet. Most sites here are fine for all levels, and with a private DM your son can stay at 40 feet with him/her while the rest of the group does their profile. However, if you end up on a morning boat with advanced divers, there are certain sites that will be prohibitive even with a private DM for your son because the top of the reef is much deeper than even 40 feet, so there would be nothing to see at 40 feet, and the currents can be very strong with nothing blocking them.

I hope that is a little helpful.

If I remember, pasa de cedral is a pretty shallow dive that's among my favorites. There are several terrific dive site at Cozumel in the 40 ft range; these are typically used as the second dive of a 2 tank trip. One thing you might be able to do, although it's hardly ideal, is go out on these dives with a small dive op and only do the 2nd dive.

You might contact Roberta at scubashack/Roberta's Eco-dive cozumel/blue bubble divers. Lately, since acquiring blue bubble, they're sending 3 boats out. Fairly often, one of these boats has novice divers on it and might agree to stay shallow on both dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom