shale island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, I've never tried kayak diving but that sounds like a LOT of work. Even more since I've been dreaming about warm water resort diving lately. :D

There is a reason I own a power boat :eyebrow:

I haven't been warm water diving in over a year and it will probably be another year before I get to do so :(

I just go down to Socal to do all my warm water diving.
And to think that people use drysuits down there?????

While SoCal waters can seem downright warm compared to what we have here, given a choice I'd still dive a drysuit down there any day. I tend to chill very quickly, and even get cold in 80 degree Hawaii water if I don't double up 3mm wetsuits.

I'm with Kenn on this one. If it's below 70 degrees, I'm bringing a drysuit! :D

OMG, I would die if I dove in a drysuit in 70 degrees!!! That's three mil temp for me.

You can't take me seriously when I poke a little fun at the drysuiters.
It's all in fun.

I did start to get cold once diving down in Socal out at the northern channel islands. I was wearing a custom 7 mil that was cut wrong and had way to much room in the upper body (totally my fault). I ended up switching to my 1/2 urchin suit and then I was too hot, but at least I was wet. having ocean water on my body is one of the things I love about diving. I love to be wet.

You and me both, ZKY! Now if only I could dive without a hood to be able to feel the water through my hair!

I'm with Zky,

Before going down to dive Florida in April, I asked about what type of suit to bring. I ended up purchasing a undergarment for diving 65-80 degrees. I also took my 7mm wetsuit, just in case.

Ended up diving my 7mm in 76 degrees of Florida's cool waters. I was like a seal in the water and never felt better.

Diving dry is way too much bulk, especially for me since I have the CLX suit. If I had a thinner suid, maybe.

But next time I go down to visit Mom, I will take a 5mm suit and really enjoy the dive more.

I haven't been warm water diving in over a year and it will probably be another year before I get to do so :(

Wow, It's been almost 2 years for me and it'll be at least another year for me too. :crying:

I know Ben Troxell kayak dives Shale Island occasionally, as well as other sites out of BW or Del Monte. I've only tried kayak diving once, renting the shortest, broadest sit-on-top kayak I could find (IIRR, 10' x 32") from California Canoe and Kayak in Oakland a couple of years ago. Compared to my usual sea kayak it was a pig, but efficient travel isn't the forte of a dive kayak; stability is.

Ideally the kayak should be around 13' and narrower at about 28" or so. Plenty stable and much faster.
Yeah, most of the dive kayaks I see are in that range. Still bargish compared to the usual 16'-17' x 21"-23" closed top I'd paddle, but a definite improvement.

I took it down to BW and tied it off to the Anchor by the wall, then practiced getting in and out of my gear. Let's just say that it's not something that comes naturally, and my initial attempts were undoubtedly amusing to watch. I'd say that having removable weight would make a big difference, too, as far as getting your rig back in the well, and I'm not currently set up that way.

Getting in and out of your gear is something we learned in open water. It comes back just like riding a bike. BP/W, long hose, bungee backup, can light, weight belt don't make it any easier, but still very doable. I have seen guys I dive with throw their primary reg in their mouths and roll onto their bellies to put their rigs on.

Poor wording on my part. I didn't find in water doffing and donning to be much of a problem; it was getting the BCD/tank (I was still renting then) in and especially out of the well that was the issue.

Even in calm conditions I found it impossible to lift my tank/BCD back into the well over the side from the water; I eventually found it necessary to sit with my feet over the side, lean back and haul the rig up my body before swiveling around and dumping it into the well; As I was totally off balance at that point and about to dump the 'yak over, I had to do a back roll off into the water to keep it upright then haul myself back on board. I'm sure with experience it would get a lot easier, but I do wonder just how difficult this process would be if conditions got a lot rougher during a dive.[/Quote]

I dive a pretty heavy rig with typically a single HP100, a Freedom Plate backplate weighing about 10 lbs, and a can light that I am very gentle with. My normal routine from kayak or boat is to undo my waist strap and crotch strap, then remove my weight belt and toss it in the boat, or into the center hatch of my kayak possibly throwing primary mask in too, and closing the hatch. Then I clip off a tag line to the left shoulder d-ring. Remove the BP/W and with my fins still on I grab one hand on my kayak (Either kayak as they load and unload about the same) and push the tank bottom onto the kayak. Then complete the push and just slide the entire unit into the tank well and strap it down. I have never flipped my kayak trying to put singles back onboard. Although the conditions were never horrible we have done it with pretty decent chop to the point that once back onboard I was taking water over the bow occasionally. Make darn sure the hatches are closed at all times unless you are grabbing something out of them.

Sounds pretty much like the procedure I arrived at after trial and error. One thing I did notice is that I don't want a bungie net in the tank well; I want webbing with fastex buckles. The bungie seems to snag the tank/straps/plate/what have you with a will, no matter how hard I tried to keep it out of the way when hoisting the tank/BCD in.

I also leave my fins on until I am back onboard my boat or kayak, then take them off. Unfortunately I do not have a trolly anchor system so once my anchor is mostly up I have to jump in the water and pull myself to the bow to recover it. I do have a safety line running all the way around my kayak though.

Yeah, one of my mistakes was to run the anchor line over the side amidships and tie it off to a handy cleat, instead of through an eye on the bow. The anchor line was in the perfect place to wrap around me/my gear while I was working around the kayak trying to take stuff off. What kind of setups are available to allow you to retrieve the anchor from the bow while sitting amidships? You mention a trolley system, which I assume is for that purpose.

I agree about the fins coming off last. I need to give the whole thing another try; my rig is different now, and I figured out many of the things not to do.

Guy

Last edited:
Even in calm conditions I found it impossible to lift my tank/BCD back into the well over the side from the water; I eventually found it necessary to sit with my feet over the side, lean back and haul the rig up my body before swiveling around and dumping it into the well; As I was totally off balance at that point and about to dump the 'yak over, I had to do a back roll off into the water to keep it upright then haul myself back on board. I'm sure with experience it would get a lot easier, but I do wonder just how difficult this process would be if conditions got a lot rougher during a dive.[/Quote]

Sounds pretty much like the procedure I arrived at after trial and error. One thing I did notice is that I don't want a bungie net in the tank well; I want webbing with fastex buckles. The bungie seems to snag the tank/straps/plate/what have you with a will, no matter how hard I tried to keep it out of the way when hoisting the tank/BCD in.

Yeah, one of my mistakes was to run the anchor line over the side amidships and tie it off to a handy cleat, instead of through an eye on the bow. The anchor line was in the perfect place to wrap around me/my gear while I was working around the kayak trying to take stuff off. What kind of setups are available to allow you to retrieve the anchor from the bow while sitting amidships? You mention a trolley system, which I assume is for that purpose.

I agree about the fins coming off last. I need to give the whole thing another try; my rig is different now, and I figured out many of the things not to do.

Guy
One thing I notice when I scooch up to the bow stradling the kayak is that with the weight of the rig in the tank well and my weight belt in the seat, that counters the problem of dropping the bow and raising the back out of the water.
I'm no small guy and I'm using a Scrambler XT which I think is around 13 feet? (never measured it - I'll check)
As far as getting geared up in the water, I would sure hope people would be able to do this. If you can't then you have to work on it and be able to do it before you can kayak dive. A buddy is a great help to make sure hoses aren't tangled up or under something, webbing is straight, etc.

Everything on a kayak needs to be secured so that if you roll it you don't lose anything. Practice rolling over a kayak with full gear on board and righting it is part of the training. You have to be able to do this out in the ocean.

Getting the rig back in the well is easy once you get the technique down. I grab the handle on the kayak with one hand, then line the backside of the tank up with the V shape at the back of the tank well so the rig is lined up in a straight line with the kayak and I set the bottom of the tank in the grove, then I give the rig a heave ho straight in while pulling on the kayak handle.

All this is what a clinic is for; To eliminate all the guess work and be able to do a successful kayak dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom