shale island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pacificgal

Rest in Peace...
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I didn't want to hijack the other thread so started this one.
Any reason why shale island can't be dived from shore? A half mile out really isn't *that* far. Is there boat traffic or something?

I don't know about the particular conditions that pertain there, but in cave diving, a common estimate of diver speed is 50 fpm in steady swimming. At that rate, 2500 feet would be 50 minutes of swimming -- not very feasible, either underwater or on the surface.

With a scooter? I don't have the same figures available, but it would be a lot closer to possible. But then you have to think about the consequences of scooter failure, too.

Last edited:
Before I got a boat or kayaks, we used to swim from the ramp in Whaler's Cove all the way around the corner to Guillemot rock in Bluefish Cove. I'm sure that's more than a half-mile. I've also hauled some people to Great Pinnacle to do a one-way dive back to the ramp, and they reported the experience as "awesome."

My concern is what you would use for line ups to find the spot. Usually, lacking a GPS requires using line-ups on the shore and reasonably clear weather (no fog or sea spray). If you want to go out there on the boat sometime, we'll anchor, then you can sight some objects on the shore to triangulate your position (I'll show you how if you aren't familiar with the technique).

Dan is right you would never be able to find the spot without GPS the first time. Isn't there a buoy right by it? Otherwise I doubt you could hit it using line up marks. It is pretty far from shore and I would say more than a half mile, but Chuck would know better. Heck most people consider the barge far and when I anchored there I was amazed just how close it was. There is a lot of boat traffic in that area since the harbor is right there.

Shale Island is a boat dive. I wouldn't even attempt it with a scooter. Plus who wants to surface swim in the landlords territory that far?

Dan, don't they also run sailboats thru that area also? Yeah that's a ways out there... For me the risk (getting run over, being too far from shore) outweighs the rewards

One of the things I always consider is the consequences if I or my buddy has to be rescued... How far I would have to drag him to get help/effect a rescue. If it is beyond my physical abilities I will not go that far.

Shale island is a boat dive only... I have had the pleasure of diving that site many times with friends that own Zodiaks...

It's a relative deep dive, completely over boat traffic, you can literally hear the boats cruising over as you explore the terrain...

Like Ben said, keep to the limits of physical capability not to mention the traffic zone of what Peter talks about, don't like to use his name more than once on a thread, it's bad luck...

I didn't want to hijack the other thread so started this one.
Any reason why shale island can't be dived from shore? A half mile out really isn't *that* far. Is there boat traffic or something?

it was a very short boat ride, It would be a real long swim. Like the others have said finding the site would be real tough,although we were anchored near a buoy like was mentioned. anyways it was a real fun dive, but it was a long way from shore.

Dan, don't they also run sailboats thru that area also?...

Yes. Speaking of that, we were out there diving off of the boat once (diving the sailboat and amtrack for a wreck course) and when we surfaced an hour later, the sailboat course buoys were nearby and those little sailboats were tacking around our boat. Morons don't even know what a dive flag means. Or don't care.

I know that Shale Island is dived quite a bit by some locals, but to me there are plenty of better dive sites, especially if I was limited to shore diving.

Global Mapper measures Shale Island as 3048' from the beach. On the
high side of a half-mile. Plus finding it without a GPS would be
problematic.

I find Shale Island very interesting because it's a different ecosystems
loaded with macro subjects.

I wouldn't call Shale Island "relatively deep" Top is <50'.

You can have sailboat race traffic anywhere on the deep shale. The solution
is to make sure you come up the anchor line, which is navigationally
easy at Shale Island because you can follow the edge of the island

Seems like shale island would be a perfect candidate for a kayak dive. I'd take a dive flag, a hand held GPS like a little Garmin E-Trex, and maybe a handheld VHF radio.

All that territory off the Aquarium would be a great kayak dive too. I'm surprised more people don't use kayaks in Monterey or Lobos.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom