Shadow Divers: John Chatterton's Interview with ScubaBoard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AWWW! Pete, we love you!

So I have a couple of questions for John. How did you meet Pete?

Is there a particular dive or subject that you are really looking forward to getting to do in the future that you haven't thus far been able to do for one reason or another?

I really got to know Pete through Matt Johnston, although we had run into one another a few times in the virtual neighborhood.

My wife likes it when I bring home gold and silver. Maybe I need to do more of that?

Cheers

I guess the other side of it is was he on any of the trips to the U-who? I don't immediately recall anything in the book being mentioned...(in fact a quick trip to the glossary showed one entry for Gary G. and that was in reference to another wreck they were trying to identify, and they referred to him as "legendary diver Gary Gentile"...)

In most cases I guess his was second and third hand information....possible someone else had it in for JC and RK and decided to unload to Gary about it...who knows...but the book in it's own form just seems like...well sour grapes!

Puzzling to say the least, and after reading a few more of his books, seemingly uncharacteristic because he seems like a pretty even keel guy (in fact sort of a jokester) but very sure of himself, and a tad cocky...but deserved given his experience.

Weird...but maybe he'll pop in and weigh in...this could be an historical thread if that happens!

Gary was with Belinda, and not "allowed" to dive the Seeker while Bill was alive. We did our thing and he did his. After Lusitania in 1994, he dove gthe U-boat a couple of times with us as crew. He was also crew on the last dive trip to the Emotor room. He did his research and we did ours.

I am the jokster. Just kidding.

Cheers

I am in the DR taking my Meg clas. I have wireless. I am tired.

I would like to thank everyone on SB for being so gracious to me and fully appreciate how not all online forums work like this.

Congratulations for being yourselves and thanks to all you guys.

Cheers

Thanks back John....BTW...The roller adjusters are fantastic!!! Hope to see you again in Morehead in the near future...Thanks for everything

Bobby

I just wanted to jump in here and thank ScubaBoard for providing a forum that connects divers of all skill levels. It's important to to the diving industries to keep our sport alive and growing.

Deep Sea Detectives and Shadow Divers have pushed John and Richie into the spotlight which has created an interest in scuba diving. This new buzz and excitement has lead new divers to the water and has helped promote our business. I know promoting diving is a priority for both John and Richie and for that I take my hat off to them. We need more people like this to help support and grow the diving community.

As I already know, and many of you are finding out, John is a very approachable and honest person , which is being demonstrated from his recent posts. I've had the pleasure of knowing and working with John over the last few years and his excitement for scuba diving and ship wreck is refreshing. You'll find out that John will answer any question, tough or not, to the best of his ability. So post the five questions, let John answer them, and let's move on. Dragging it out only draws suspicion as to the motives of the questioner.

In my opinion Shadow Divers was a book written by Robert Kurson's who wrote an account ,as he understood it, of John and Richie's quest for the identification of U-869. I'm sure that Kurson wasn't 100% factual on all events, but sometimes that's needed to make a story flow. For me and many other I've talked to Kurson's accounts were so exciting that it made it hard to put the book down once you started it. That my friends is a home run in the book business!!

In any case I join the others here and welcome you to Scuba Board John. So JC, now that you've entered into the forums here on Scuba Board, does this mean I have to start referring to you as Mr. Chatterton from now on?

Good Diving/Hunting

Dear Friends,

Following your wishes, I have split this thread into two. This is the kinder, gentler John Chatterton Interview thread.

To do this, I copied many posts into "Tonka97's 5 Scenarios for John Chatterton" thread and I deleted about 90 posts from here and will be editing a few more in just a moment. I did my best, and apologise in advance if I split off or lost a post here and there that should have stayed or vice versa. If there is an eggregious error or omission, I do have an unedited copy in the back room and I will try to make it right. Thanks for your patience.

We now continue our collective interview with John Chatterton.

Hi John,
welcome to SB (later is better than never) :D

I had a question on SD ... but you responded to it already when you signed my copy of the book at DEMA - Las Vegas in 200x (2 years ago?). My question was related to the differences between SD and Last Dive regarding the chopper rescue of the son.

Anyway,
thank you for stopping by at our booth at DEMA. May I post your picture?

Best Regards,

I_AM

I am in the DR taking my Meg clas. I have wireless. I am tired.

Cheers
John; lets see, a year or so ago you were having a bad day because you were in Key West and had been drinking with some Navy SOF types the night before. The next morning its bright and sunny, you had a hang over, and couldn't find your sun glasses.

My comment then is the same as now, Life is tough!

So, as we in the Northeast watch the ice rinks that we call our yards and drive ways, please tell us about how being in the Dominican Republic is so tiring.

Give me a call when you get back, still have some good stuff to show you.

Take Care

Pete Johnson

Hi John,
welcome to SB (later is better than never) :D

I had a question on SD ... but you responded to it already when you signed my copy of the book at DEMA - Las Vegas in 200x (2 years ago?). My question was related to the differences between SD and Last Dive regarding the chopper rescue of the son.

Anyway,
thank you for stopping by at our booth at DEMA. May I post your picture?

Best Regards,

I_AM

Hello I_am,

It's Dennis We had the booth next to you. Hope all is well.

Dennis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom